Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Masdevallia barlaeana var. Arangoi

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I picked up this clone of barlaeana in Colombia in the Summer of 2019 and this is its first bloom. Very unusual peachy color and had no issues during the hot, humid Summer of 2020.

85A48317-02B3-4D10-97D4-1A7205D6AC0C.jpeg

898A8AD0-3255-4FDE-BA34-AB8D40A694FD.jpeg

DarleneJay, Joanie, weeand and 3 others like this.
  2. dex356

dex356 Active Member

Very nice blooming Chuck!

3. Chuck-NH

Thanks Dexter!

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It is very nice, but I never would have guessed M barleana.

5. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

Never seen this variation. It's nice!

6. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

7. Joanie

Joanie New Member

That's a beauty!! I really like the peach with the darker lines. I have been playing with a few of the warmer loving Masdevallias (floribunda, mejiana) and was wondering how hot and humid it was this past summer for you. It's always hot and humid here in Florida. :D

8. Chuck-NH

Thanks everyone...it was a pleasant surprise to get that plant. I had no idea what it would look like when I picked it out, but thought it sounded interesting.

Regarding hot and humid in New Hampshire this past Summer. It was consistently in the upper 80’s and low 90’s F (day temps) from the middle of July through the middle of September. I have experienced that in the past and even higher day temps, but it was too many still nights where the temperatures stayed around 70 F and 90% RH. Most Summers, even with hot days, we get into the 50’s and low 60’s for night temps. Had a bit of leaf drop and even lost a few of the real cold growers...most things have recovered and are doing well now.

9. dex356

dex356 Active Member

Hi Joanie.... Remember, cool growing does not mean it's cool all the time... It can get into the 80's and 90's during the day with very high humidity where "Cool growing" orchids live but the temperature should drop 20F or so during the night! Like Chuck said, he lost a lot of leaves and some plants during the summer and it was due to the night time temps stayed the same... The best thing is to try to find someone in your area that also grows "Cool growing" orchids and purchase them from that person... Just because the books say warm or cool growing does not mean they can possibly grow for you!

DarleneJay and J E like this.