Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lycaste skinneri alba 2 clones

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Dec 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

These are the two alba clones I like the best out of an outcross of 2 good pinks. They were about 25% albas from the cross. I get conflicting information from people I assume would know about what to expect from a sib cross of these 2. Someone said that 2 albas will always will only produce alba and another says no, there would be a mix of pink in there. Anyone want to weigh in on this.

lyc.skin.alba.6797.jpg
    lyc.skin.alba.6767.jpg

2. Sean Houtman

Sean Houtman Active Member

The two pink parents were probably heterozygous for a recessive alba gene. Pp x Pp can give you 1/4 PP, 1/2 Pp, and 1/4 pp. In this case, the P is dominant gene for pink, p is recessive alba gene. These plants will be pp, and selfing or crossing between them can only produce pp or alba flowers.

Some alba flowers are much more complicated, you may need to have alba genes on two different alleles to get a white flower. If a yellow color is involved, then you may only get yellow (flava) flowers instead of red or orange flowers, and you may never get a true white. An example of this can be found in Psychopsis flowers.

Marni likes this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Sean! I know that skinneri alba is much sought after, but I really want pinks too. I guess I'll use pollen from one of these and put it on a good pink from the same cross. I may need an extra greenhouse just for lycastes at the rate I am going.:rolleyes:

4. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

;-P nice white, I think it may be more complicated with this ass sean explained

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Classy flowers.

6. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Those are some truly Stunning and classy flowers!

7. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If these are governed by simple Mendelian genetics, then what Sean explained is spot on. It may or may not be that simple, though. When codominant and incomplete dominant genes get into the mix, getting a grasp on the genetics is a little tougher. I think your best bet to get a more nice whites is to do a white x white cross and then like you mentioned a good pink x white as well. The only problem with a white x pink cross is that there is potential to only produce pink flowered plant if these are an example of simple Mendelian genetics. If the white (pp) is bred with a homozygous dominant pink (PP), then all of the offspring will be heterozygous pink (Pp). Crossing two of those, though should give you a high percentage of white F2's.

8. Dave

Dave Active Member Supporting Member

Very nice.