Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lycaste deppei

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, May 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

This poor thing is in quarantine and lives under a bench, but it still is amazing.

lyc.deppi.dave.jpg

2. Dave

Dave Active Member Supporting Member

Hey Marni, is that what I think it is?:)

3. Marni

Yes, that is exactly what you think it is. Isn't it gorgeous? I have seed from this with my dark one and I just pollinated several flowers with hybrids.

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

That is amazing. Are the blooms that green or are they translucent and showing green from the foliage? I like this better than the darker form.

5. Marni

Kelly, they are green! I was very taken by Dave's photo a couple years back. This plant is from him, sort of on permanent loan. I have seed of this with pollen from this. I did the cross 2 years ago and messed up with the labeling so had to start again last year. I'm hoping for a lot of variety in the seedlings.

6. KellyW

Marni, is this larger than L. powellii?

7. Marni

It certainly is the way I grow powellii. The flowers on the deppei are a bit larger than powellii, but I think I am not giving enough heat to the powellii. There is also a lot more of the deppei plant so the pseudobulbs are significantly larger.

8. KellyW

Thanks.

9. Dave

Well, Marni, not surprising it is thriving under your care! It is nice, isn't it?

So the story is I posted this pic and Marni thought it was very nice. She wondered if it was virused as apparently most Lycaste are, so I sent her a piece to test and sure enough it was virused. But Marni thought it was worth using as a parent. Besides being virused it gets pretty big and floppy so I just sent her the plant. I am looking forward to trying to grow some its hopefully virus-free offspring that Marni is growing.

10. Marni

As long as one sows dry seed, the seedlings are virus free. First we have to wait for germination. So for those of you who think a plant isn't virused because it is growing and flowering well, not necessarily so.

11. Dave

It's funny, with many plants I wouldn't worry quite as much about having a virused one but with this one the leaves get very big and somewhat unruly and honestly I just had visions of this thing shedding virus on everything below it! Probably not that bad in reality.

Marni, will this species self? That would seem to make green seedlings more likely.

12. Dave

Oops, looking at thread I see you have already selfed it.

13. Marni

No, I haven't selfed it, but you have a point. I used it to make some hybrids this time. I would hope that some of the seedlings are closer to this parent and could be crossed to intensify the green.

I worry about virus in the soft leafed plants because when the leaves rub together I think there is a great possibility of spreading it. I notice that when I water a batch of lycastes I use the watering wand to move leaves out of the way so I can get to the pots.
    These are isolated for two reasons: so it is obvious that these are separated and not to be touched with the wand or ones hand and so they can't rub against other plants.