Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes tibouchinicola

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by dex356, Aug 14, 2019.

1. dex356

dex356 Active Member

Here are some pictures I took last week in Medellin Colombia... Lepanthes tibouchinicola changed the way I look at Lepanthes... It seemed to break all the rules... Growing @ 3,100M, cold growing but it was growing in a flat open fields on the tibouchinicola tree as a twig orchid... Totally exposed to the sun and wind!!! No moss and VERY dry. It may or not get any moisture during the night depending if clouds come in during the dry season P1030751.JPG P1030752.JPG P1030763.JPG ...

wpinnix, rico, DPfarr and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Great shot Dexter! Coincidentally , I have the same photos, but yours is a little more in focus. This area was a zone where forest transitions to Paramos (a tropical alpine zone). This Lepanthes was quite plentiful and spectacular! There were also some nice Fernandezia and Telipogon in the area

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Fascinating. If I had not seen the column I would never have thought this is a Lepanthes.

4. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very interesting and unusual Lepanthes species. Thanks for the photos.