Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes telipogoniflora

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by JohnsonS, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Certainly, one of the more popular miniatures out there. Mine is a recent acquisition with its first blooming. It's not nearly as nice as some of the specimens I've seen posted here (with dozens of flowers) but hopefully one day it will be. Anyways, I figured I would share a couple of photos with some close-up shots.

Lepanthes telipogoniflora

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alexey, Andreja Schulz and wpinnix like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Shaun, great growing and outrageous photos. I've been afraid to try this one since tender-leaved minis tend to die rapidly in my care. Congratulations.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Kelly, this should do well for you if you enclose it so the humidity stays high. It would do well in one of those glass balls made for just this sort of thing.

4. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes, this is one species that can do well with little to no air circulation.

An interesting thing I read the other day (it may have been chicago chad posting elsewhere) was that when this species is kept with high temps below 70F, spikes will continue to develop, but flowers will not open. When brought above 70F, you can produce a nice mass blooming. It would be interesting to see if this is just coincidental or if it holds true across multiple bloomings/clones. Could be a nice way to prepare a specimen for a show.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Marni. Good to know.

6. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

It was something that happened by accident. The plant prefers to be much warmer. It does line up nice for the spring shows though. My plant was just a few days late. I think I entered it with over 40 buds but not a single one opened by that morning.

Your plant is quite nice and mine from the same batch seems to be a stronger grower than the Ecuagenera plants. Larger roots and more angular flowers.

Mine also has to stay drenched on those hardwood mounts from Andy.

7. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I wish mine would bloom. I've kept one alive for a year now which is longer than in the past for me. Something isn't right.

8. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice photos! It looks like a light color form on photos. Is the color correct on photo?

I tried to grow a couple seedlings of this species inside the ODV glass ball three years ago. I must say it wasn't a success. Perhaps it was a bit too much(rh) for my growing condition.

I don't know about Chad's growing condition, but mine bloom fine below 70F. Matter of fact, it is only in the low 60s during the day now and the flowers or buds have no problem what so ever.

9. Natureman

Natureman Active Member

Mine has about 7 spikes and looks like it's going to bloom, but it's 55/65 with 80%RH... If the buds blast now I know to warm it up.

10. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. I love hearing about the cultural comments and how everyone is growing theirs - very interesting!

That's good to hear.

I was keeping mine quite wet, but have since backed off and I just make sure it stays damp now ; so far it has been doing great and it has lots of new growths.

Thanks, Tom.

Yes, the photos are color-correct. It is a much lighter orange than others I have seen. I wouldn't mind finding one of the forms that produces a red flower.

11. Tom-DE

It should not be difficult to find one. Besides Andy's, you might want to ask Marni and see if she has a red one for you.....It sounds like your plant is having a good start, so don't change a thing if your plant is happy, no matter what others may say..

Do you have Lepanthes tsubotae in your collection? It is another nice one to have for any Lepanthes collector.

12. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Wow, gorgeous photos, Shaun!

13. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

I will keep my eye out for one, but in the mean time I will see how well this one does for me.

No, I don't have L. tsubotae. It looks like it is a cool(er) grower, though?

Thanks, gnathaniel! :)

14. Tom-DE

Shaun, Mine(tsubotae) grows and blooms very well on the cool side of intermediate(55-75F, but now winter time is about low 60s during the day)

15. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Why can't I bloom mine? The conditions it's in roughly match those described here.

16. Tom-DE

It wants to go to a new home!:D
    If the plant is healthy, it should bloom. Try another location if you like.
    Shady, some air(not strong), moist but not overly wet. I always grow Lepanthes(all of them) on mount because they don't do too well in pot for me.

17. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I can't leave this mounted and have to have it potted as I will be away from the greenhouse days at a time and will definitely dehydrate. I did recently repot it with a giant piece of perlite in the middle.

I also moved it to a place that has a smaller temperature range and less light.

18. Tom-DE

I see. Hopefully it likes the new spot. Good luck with it.