Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes sp - PERU

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Pontus_Sweden, Dec 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pontus_Sweden

Pontus_Sweden Active Member

Wonder if anyone know what species this could be? I bought this from "Orchids and More" / Germany.

It now flowers well.
    Lepanthes_sp.Peru.jpg Lepanthes_2b.jpg

2. Fungus

Fungus New Member

Have no ID to give you. But is Orchids and More a company that deals with wild collected plants?

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know the company, but I have been in enough forests and nurseries in Latin American countries to know that you can't judge whether a plant is wild collected or nursery grown by looking at it.

4. harrywitmore

harrywitmore Member

I agree Marni, I could pull one of the Pleurothallids from my terrarium and it wouldn't look much different.

5. Pontus_Sweden

I belive they were in Peru and visited Peruflora. So I think the plants comes from Peruflora. I have other plants from different growers that looks almost the same and they are from nurserys.

In a near future there will be almost zero species in the wild. Sad. Plants will survive in vivarias and greenhouses.

6. Fungus

Fungus New Member

To say that this is a nursery grown plant is just redicoulous. I know a wild collected plant when I see one. To call a wild collected plant that has been in a nursery for a couple of months nursery grown is just fooling yourself.

This is a classical excuse that I've heard hundreds of times. To buy plants that is wild collected speeds up the rate the species are wiped out from the natural habitat. Whats the point of keeping a specie in a vivaria if its biological place or function in nature is gone?

7. Pontus_Sweden

When I buy from orchid companies like O&M I really hope they are nursery grown. I can´t say how they buy their plants but all the ones I got from them this in this order was said to come from Peruflora. I hope places like Ecuagenera, Peruflora, Kopf, O&M, Popow don´t collect in the wild. But I can´t guarantee that.
    I have no idea how to check how they grow their plants. Do you Fungus? Sorry but I order were everyone else order and how do we know that they properly grown? These companies chould be the best what I have heard. And all the "pros" order from there.

Have heard now that some companies have permitts to collect from logging areas (cut down trees). Do anyone know if this is true?

Well I understand now that it´s no idea to get any info on this species here.

8. Lika[Sweden]

Lika[Sweden] Svenska

There are some companies that are allowed to do that. Floralia in Brasil is one of them that I know of.

9. botanist

botanist New Member

All or nearly all of Peruflora's plants are wild collected. Certainly they are not growing Lepanthes in their "lab", generally agreed to be a sham.