Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes manabina

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by JohnsonS, Jan 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Lepanthes manabina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love the foliage on this one, as well; the leaves have very nice contours that go well with the velvety-texture:

[​IMG]

And, this may be a silly question but do Lepanthes produce both "male" and "female" flowers? There was a second flower on a separate leaf that had an additional structure. I was just curious, as many of the Lepanthes spp. flower photos I've seen look more like what I have posted above, without this additional structure. I will see if I can upload a photo of this other flower...

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Love it and I want a piece.....but I am not sure if it is L. manabina tho...kinda remember some vendor had listed it as another species.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Shaun, unlike many manabina that have been posted (including mine) I think you may have the real L. manabina here. Mine and many others sold as L. manabina are really L. gargoyla. I can't discern a fringe on the lower side of the lip which is the primary distinguishing feature.

4. Tom-DE

ODV listed it as Lepanthes mastodon at one time, so you might want to do a research on it. Whatever it is, I think I like its foliage better than those gargoyle or manabina.

5. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Kelly, I agree; my L. gargoyla was labelled as such.

Tom, I am quite certain this is L. manabina. I have seen several sources that list L. mastodon as being synonymous with L. manabina. All of the photos I have seen with a positive identification as being L. manabina (and not L. gargoyla) are identical to what I have, as well.

Here is a photo of L. manabina from Epidendra (http://www.epidendra.org/taxones/Lepanthes/Lepanthes manabina/):

[​IMG]

6. Tom-DE

Perhaps you are correct, Shaun. I have two plants , one is labeled as gargoyla and the other is labeled as manabina. Although the flower details have some minor differences, the growths(leaves) are almost identical to me. I have been quite puzzled about that.
    I will forward this to someone to take a good look and see if it fits the original description.

7. Tom-DE

Shaun, just confirmed by a botanist yours most likely is the real Lep. manabina. Congrats! I guess many of us have the wrong one.