Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes gargoyla

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by JohnsonS, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

I received this one just recently as Lepanthes manabina, though after looking at photos online I'm not too sure if this name is correct. When searching for L. manabina I get some results that match this species and some that are distinctly different. When searching for L. gargoyla, however, the results I get match the species I have, which makes me think it may be L. gargoyla instead… It seems as though most of what I've seen here on Orchids Forum as L. manabina also matches what I've seen labelled as L. gargoyla.

Regardless of what it is, I thought I would share a few photos that I'm fairly happy about. I had been anticipating the opening of this flower for what seemed like forever - the bud just kept growing larger and larger, until it finally opened on Thursday. The flower measures approximately 17mm "tall" (from tip to tip).

The bud forming (taken 6/29/2014):

[​IMG]

Open (taken 7/11/2014):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rico

rico Active Member

I'm afraid I can't help on the name, but the flower is amazing! Good job!

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Beautiful photography and flowers. I'm glad you asked the question because I have wondered this myself so I did some reading. On Epidendra there are some good drawings. Here is L. gargoyla
    http://www.epidendra.org/taxones/Lepanthes/Lepanthes gargoyla/lepanthes_gargoyla_typill.jpg
    and here is L. manabina
    http://www.epidendra.org/taxones/Lepanthes/Lepanthes manabina/lepanthes_manabina_typill.jpg
    It seems that the most distinctive difference is the fringed lip on L. gargoyla which is absent on L. manabina. Using that distinction, yours would be gargoyla. Mine is also labelled as manabina so I need to get the hand lens and see what mine really is.

Alfonso Doucette and JohnsonS like this.
  4. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thank you, Rico.

Thanks, Kelly.

Thank you for posting these links - I had not seen these and it certainly clarifies the differences between the two species. The hairs on the lip of L. gargoyla was the main characteristic I noticed while searching through photos online. It looks like the flower of L. manabina is also smaller than that of L. gargoyla. Sebastian Moreno posted a link in the comments of one of my photos on Flickr, you can see a photo of the real L. manabina here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/semoreno/14606663521/.

I believe the one you posted is also L. gargoyla like mine, as it does have the hairs on the lip. Mine came from Andy's; I sent them an email yesterday to see if they grow both species - there may be a chance their labels got mixed up at some point...

Perhaps a moderator can change the title of this thread to "Lepanthes gargoyla".

5. KellyW

I changed your title as requested.

I agree that mine is also L. gargoyla. Mine also came from Andy's years ago. At the time I called and asked if they had L. gargoyla and they said "no, but we have this one that is very similar called L. manabina". :) So, I bought it and now it turns out that it was gargoyla all along. I suspect all of theirs are the same and are just mislabeled by the grower.

Thanks for the link to Sebastian's post. I had also noticed that the L. manabina forum posts from Europe seemed to be the true manabina.

BTW, the purple petals and lip on yours is really beautiful. Mine is more of an olive green.

6. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Wow! Amazing photography. What type of camera/lens do you use?

7. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thanks, Kelly. Yes, I really like the colors on this flower - very attractive; and, to be honest, I'm actually glad that this turned out to be gargoyla as I think it's a nicer looking flower than manabina.

Thank you, William!

I use a Nikon D7000 with a 50mm f1.8D on extension tubes (a variation of two Nikon PK-13 and one PK-12 depending on the magnification I want) and an SB400 flash mounted off-camera.

Interdependence likes this.
  8. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

Amazing photography! That second photo is a keeper!!! I would have never looked twice at this plant, but your photography captures that tiny flower so beautifully!

9. RosieC

RosieC Member

Wow, great photos of those tiny flowers, and they are so so pretty!

10. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thanks for the comments!

One more photo…

[​IMG]

RosieC and Alfonso Doucette like this.
  11. Sebastian Vieira

Sebastian Vieira Member

Hi Shaun. Very good pictures of quite a nice species. At least, here in Colombia, I have never seen L.gargoyla (it is endemic from Ecuador, so far). But I have found L.manabina many times, it is widely distributed and not very variable. Surely, yours is gargoyla and not manabina.

Here you can see some of the pictures of manabina I have taken:

https://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&q=manabina

By the way, nice macro setup. You get very nice light with it. I really like your Apis melifera picture.

Regards,

Sebastian

JohnsonS likes this.
  12. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Hi Sebastian, thank you for the information and the confirmation on the species identification - very helpful!

Thanks for the complements on my macro work - I'm finally to a point where I have figured out what setup works well for me and I feel more comfortable using my equipment.

You take some very nice photos as well! I always look forward to seeing your new photos.

13. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Marni likes this.
  14. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great plant and photos!

15. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Here are two recent photos of this species; I like these close-ups much more than the previous set I posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pontupo and wpinnix like this.
  16. KellyW

Shaun, did you ever hear from Andy about them growing both manabina and gargoyla?

17. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Kelly, here's a quote from an email I sent to Andy back in July - I get the impression that he might only have L. gargoyla (perhaps labelled as both gargoyla and manabina) as the flowers are really quite different and the foliage on manabina (at least on the majority of the ones I've seen) seems to have much more exaggerated contours (more concaved):

Me:

"...I recently purchased a nice mounted plant of Lepanthes manabina from you and it just opened up a flower yesterday which I was able to get a few photos of (see attachments).

I was just curious if you also grow L. gargoyla and if you might know what the main differences between the two species are? I was looking at photos of the two species and it seems as though the one I received more closely resembles L. gargoyla than it does L. manabina; is it possible these might have gotten mixed up at some point?…"

Andy:

"Thanks for pointing that out. The hard part is segregating the two groups as vegetatively they are identical.

I will start to segregate them as they flower."

18. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Here are a couple of comparison photos between these two species, for anyone who may be interested. You can see they are quite different - it would be difficult to mix them up.

Foliage/Growth Habit - L. gargoyla (left), L. manabina (right)

[​IMG]

Flowers - L. gargoyla (left), L. manabina (right)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pontupo and goods like this.