Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Lepanthes calodictyon/ telepogoniflora

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by goods, May 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that all 6 of my current Lepanthes species are either in bloom or are showing signs of new growths. Seeing the success with my current species has me searching for these two again. I'm looking for either of them or both depending on price and availability.

Thanks!

2. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

These Lepanthes species are usually difficult to find here. However, during Redlands, Orquideas del Valle comes in from Colombia and Andrea usually has a whole bunch of Lepanthes species to sell, including these two. I have bought the calodictyon from her in the past. She may or may not have one or both for sale.
    http://www.orquivalle.com/catalog.htm
    Now all you need is a good friend to check her booth at Redlands this coming weekend and pick 'em up for you if they are there. I'm not going or I would.

3. goods

Thanks CJ! I've been looking for a few years for these. Thankfully, I just found out recently that Andrea will be our society's guest speaker for August. If I don't find one here by the preorder date, I'll just ask her to bring a couple.

How'd yours do in Florida?

4. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

I tried the calodictyon twice over the years. Clobbered them quickly. I don't know if there was something wrong with my conditions, or if they just hated me, or -- I do remember they were very small plants with just a few leaves each. They may not have been large enough to be import-viable.

5. goods

Did you grow it outdoors or in some kind of tank? I've read that they need to be more moist than other orchids, and that's why you see many growing in those little glass ornament things. I've gotten a few Lepanthes from someone who imported from ODV that were in pretty rough shape, but there starting to turn the corner now.

6. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

I grew them in my greenhouse, housed in a plastic pot set into an open deli container, and sitting on a light shelf. That's how I grow about half of my Pleuro types which need somewhat higher humidity than we have around here (about 50-60%). I'm growing in Pensacola, so I don't have South Florida's continuous heat. I can give at least a 10-15 degree diurnal variation, and can provide cool temps for about eight months of the year (under 60F at night). I keep the GH under 85F during the heat of the day in the summer months.

The plants hated it anyhow and committed suicide. And as I said, they were also very small divisions to begin with and didn't have much reserve.

7. Interdependence

Interdependence Member

J and L usually has calodictyon but they don't list them on their website. Just send them an email. Telipogoniflora can be had anytime ecuagenera is in the states. Order ahead of time and they will ship to you when they arrive in the states.

8. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Zach, I have a calodictyon that is mounted on a tiny piece of tree fern with a pad of sphagnum. Originally I kept it in a terrarium but eventually moved it to my greenhouse and have it hanging in shade with other shade-loving plants. The transition to the greenhouse almost killed it but it recovered nicely and is now flourishing. I now give it no special care other than making sure it is always moist. Mine came from Andy's about 2-3 years ago. It was not listed on his web site. When purchased it was only 3-4 leaves.

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Zach, I've sent you a pm about the telipogoniflora. I think the best place to get a L calodictyon would be from Gary Meyer http://www.colombianorchidimports.com/Pages/Lepanthes.html. He imports thems them from Colombia and I think they would be larger plants that most of what you will find.

I grow the L calodictyon with 56F minimum night, never dries out for long, good humidity and very good water with dilute fertilizer. Most of the year it is watered every day. I grow them on mounts of oak or leptosperum, both horizontal and vertical. The telipogoniflora do best for me warmer and more humid. I have them on a propagation mat for bottom heat and in a domed tray so the humidity is very high. The love it.

10. goods

Thanks everyone for all the help. I asked J&L to bring one to a show they came to here once, and I was unimpressed with the plant offered for the price.

Kelly, thanks for the growing conditions. Any reason for the switch to the greenhouse?

Marni, I replied to your PM before I read this post. You answered most of my questions here. I'll look into your source. His prices seem reasonable, and I'm assuming these will be better started than one from Ecuagenera or ODV. It's interesting that you grow these with the low nights even though I've heard and read that it's one of the warm growers of the genus. I wonder if that's why so many people who grow it warm struggle to grow it well. I may have to try one in my room temp tank and one in the fridge. Do you find that the orientation of the mount has an affect on the plant's growth?

You said you grow the L. telipogoniflora under the domed lids. Do they receive much air circulation, if any? I'm imagining one of the seedling tray "mini-greenhouses".

Thanks again to everyone posting!

11. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Gary's plants are from Colomborquideas and they are known for quality plants.

As to calodictyon, the first one I got many years ago grew for me at 52F minimum, but warmer is better. I lost that one when the city water changed and I procrastinated about getting RO. Good quality water is very important. 56F is my warmest (except for the heat mat) and they are doing well enough. I think the horizontal holds moisture a bit longer. The telipogoniflora didn't respond well to the drops in humidity. In the flask, they bloomed beautifully, really quite a sight. Once I took them out of flask and they declined, buds blasted so I put them in a seedling tray with a 3 inch dome. They did better. Now when I take some out of flask, they don't skip a beat. Then I switched them to the heat mat and put a taller 6" plastic cover on them. The lid gets lifted every day or every other day for some fresh air. The really like it. I have them in a 1" pot in nz sphagnum moss.

12. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

"Any reason for the switch to the greenhouse?"

Zach, my terrarium was just a simple terrarium with no fans or anything. As a result there was always condensation on the sides and top and it was difficult to enjoy the plant. The plant was doing good there but I decided to move it, live or die, so I could enjoy it better. Most of the leaves curled and died in the transition but it is now larger than it was before I moved it. So, the move was not for a cultural reason but a selfish one.