Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Laelia longipes var. coerulea

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Oct 14, 2016.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Of my 5 rupicolous Laelias this is the only one that reliably blooms.
    The flower is about 1.5" (37 mm) across. It is in a 3" pot.
    A common syn. is L. lucasiana.
    Looking around on the internet this species seems highly variable or there are a lot of mislabelled plants.

Look here at the flower color on the same plant from 2 years ago. Maybe more light this year?

Laelia lucasiana1 rotate-900.jpg Laelia lucasiana plant-900.jpg

Kipper, piotrm and sam1147 like this.
  2. jai

jai Orchid addict

Oh I love the rupicolous Laelias...well I like anything mini lol. Nice color. I just recently started growing these laelias.

3. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Very beautiful, Kelly. I like this type of Laelias very much, but as Jai I like all things small [emoji6]
    In june I bought one for myself. Laelia flava sulina according the tag. Well, we'll see. Keep my vingers crossed.

4. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

Agreed these, and most little things are great. How are you growing this Kelly? I would love to get one if I can provide the right conditions.

5. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

I saw your other post. I should get one of these

6. rico

rico Active Member

Oh my gosh! Is that even the same plant as your original post? It looks so different, even the shape of the lip for some reason. Did the orchid fairy trade out your original plant one night :p? I have a plant labeled lucasiana, but just from the leaves it looks quite different than yours. Great blooming this year!

7. KellyW

I know. I actually had to compare the exposed root and old spike from the 2014 photo to the present-day plant to convince myself it is the same plant. I suppose it is possible that there are actually 2 siblings in the pot that have been growing together since deflasking.

8. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Kelly, I've noticed this variation on my plant as well. I'm pretty sure your original division is a single clone. I'm not entirely certain that this is a true species, a there has been confusion with identification of this group. This looks different in plant form, inflorescence length and flower shape than another lucasiana that I grow.

However, this did come from a reputable breeder, so until a genetic study is done with this plant, we have to assume it is correct.

9. KellyW

Thanks for the info, Bill.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  10. MikeInOz

MikeInOz Active Member

Beautiful Kelly! I love these but I can't grow them. Eg: I have a milleri which just refuses to grow roots in a pot. I've tried, coarse bark, lava, clay balls, clay pots, dry, moist etc but no. What am I doing wrong?? Other species are/were the same..

11. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Beautiful plant, Kelly! I love these little rupicoles.

Mike, I've had decent luck growing my young plants in sphagnum moss over lava rock or expanded shale. They really seem to like the moss, not sure if it's just the moisture or has to do with pH or something else. Also not sure how well it will work longer term, so far I've just drop potted up a size as needed but the old moss could be problematic in a few years.