Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Laelia (Cattleya) alaorii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Aug 15, 2017.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cattleyas are big floofy things, therefore this is not a Cattleya. Take that, taxonomists! Not the smallest Laelia—some of the rupicolous species are smaller—but definitely the smallest of the Hadrolaelias. Flowers on mine are about 1¼", though some clones open more widely and reach up to 1¾". I like the pink blush.

Standard cattleya culture is fine, but I think they like it a little moister, though they should still dry out between waterings. They don't need as much light as typical Cattleyas, but it doesn't seem to bother them either and I give mine bright light.

Laelia alaorii.jpg Laelia alaorii flowers.jpg Laelia alaorii closeup.jpg

2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Nice color on yours...and I still call them Laelia too! Just like I still say Sophronitis.

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Just found a recent photo of mine...yours is definitely much darker...like it when there is variation within a species.

image.jpeg

JohnF likes this.
  4. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Very lovely color especially the deepening of the color deeper into the flower. May have to try one of these.
    Taxonomist be dammed, I think they have to find things to change to justify themselves, if they are lumping or splitting they are reassinging something.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

:clap:

6. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Beautiful!

7. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's been almost 2 years since I last photographed this plant. It has grown very nicely and blooms on just about every new growth. Unfortunately it sucks at synchronizing, so I've never had more than 3 flowers at once. It currently has 2 more buds not visible in the photo that will bloom after the current flowers are gone.

Laelia alaorii_06.06.19.jpg Laelia alaorii flowers 01_06.06.19.jpg Laelia alaorii flowers 02_06.06.19.jpg Laelia alaorii flowers 03_06.06.19.jpg Laelia alaorii flower_06.06.19.jpg

GaryYG and wpinnix like this.
  8. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

It's beautiful. I love the colors and the shape of the flowers. :) And those healthy roots, too!

9. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Beautiful. It looks like the flowers have greener tips of petals and sepals than 2 years ago.

10. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

:clap:

11. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a very beautiful clone and very well grown. Even if you don't get a specimen blooming you do get a longer bloom season.

12. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Lovely! My alba is in bud now. I can't wait to share.