Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Laelia anceps

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Kev the Scot, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kev the Scot

Kev the Scot New Member

A photo of one of my Laelia anceps in flower. This is the first flowering of this clone for me. I find growing these easiest if I mount them and grow them outside almost all year.

[​IMG]

newbud, Mikhail kujawa and Kipper like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

IMG_0877.JPG I think your clone is prettier with deeper colors. Mine is almost done blooming after growing on my lanai all year here in west central Florida.i watched the spike get longer and longer and finally I guess with the short day length it bloomed.
    Mine is doing fine so far in a pot with bark.

newbud and Kev the Scot like this.
  3. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

You grow these outside all year in London? You're good!

Kev the Scot likes this.
  4. Kev the Scot

Kev the Scot New Member

Steve- lovely colours. I love the variation in L.anceps. I wish we had more choice over here in Europe to be honest.

Kipper- I'm not that good. I'm lucky living in central London as we don't often get hard frosts. I have read many times in many places that Laelia can survive frosts. I'm not brave enough to leave them out when frost is threatening but I do leave them out until it goes down to 4 or 5 deg Cel overnight. They don't mind it at all- in fact they have never looked better!
    in fact they are out right now along with my Masdies. It's lightly raining and is forecast to be about 7deg Cel tonight.

This is another clone which flowered earlier in the year. You can see how I grow them. Mounted on a south-west facing wall.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Kevin

Kipper likes this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

Yes yours are deeper colored. Mine was left out this year when we got a very early unexpected frost. My vandas took it very poorly. This anceps did not seem to care at all so whatever that means,
    One question Kevin do you have an inexpensive source for your cork mounts over there? Seems to me that the prices are high for these relatively small pieces of wood.

6. Kev the Scot

Kev the Scot New Member

Steve,
    I have found that if I buy cork slabs at a place selling reptiles, spiders etc then it's way less expensive. Here it's a bit of trek so I phone in advance and make sure that there has been a recent delivery and that there are lots of pieces to choose from.

7. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Steve, right now Calwest has a good sale going on for cork pieces...
    Virgin Cork Bark