Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Jumellea ibityana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Uluwehi, Apr 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

My plant is now blooming for the first time. Some orchid snobs turn their noses up at Jumellea because they aren't varied or flashy enough but I don't think as they do; I think they are wonderful! The petals on this plant have a nice habit of gently twisting. The green stigmatic surface is pleasing and contrasted by the crystalline texture of the flower. The orange root tips are also an added bonus to the handsome leaves.

This species is endemic to the central highlands of Madagascar where it grows both as an epiphyte and lithophyte on bare or slightly shaded rocks amongst mosses and lichens at about 2000m elevation.

While I am sure that this is redundant for some, I like taking pictures of white flowers at various light exposures to show the different features that appear with each.
    5658972949_e6e7f04686_z.jpg 5658970665_cb0606b0ce_z.jpg 5659538756_e586b63c5b_z.jpg 5658958731_d15b92c6e6_z.jpg 5658967995_4036dd28d6_z.jpg

2. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Very nice! And I don't think it is redundant. Photographing white flowers -- especially the ones with translucent flowers is difficult. The photograph is lovely and the subject--gorgeous!

3. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another great one Jacob! Your rare Ang collection just keeps growing

4. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

I love it Jacob, want to trade jumellea for jumellea? perhaps I have one you covet.....

5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

You're killing me lately. I think I've received at least three moribund plants. That is very nice. I dearly love Jumellea. All white or not, they do have quite a bit of variability in flower shape and size and the fragrance is sublime. Well done once again. :clap:

6. Uluwehi

Thanks everyone! I am glad to know that there are Jumellea lovers out there.

Kitty, I don't have any Jumellea propagations to trade, sorry. Most of my curent collection is composed of plants that are either too young to split up or are monopodials that never pup, so it makes it hard to share with others except via pollen and seed.

I was lucky to get a healthy piece of a second clone of this species last week from Malala, so once it is established enough to bloom I will cross it with the plant pictured here so that we can get seedlings of this species spread around.

Mr.B, I feel your pain. I had 15 DOA Malala on Friday and today it's now up to 18. Do you grow this species? I find that it doesn't have an fragrance (at least to my human nose).

7. mrbreeze

I've never had one alive more than a week or two. So no, I don't grow it. I'm counting on you. ;)

8. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Really cute!!

9. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Oh, morabeza and Mr. B -- sorry to hear about the fatalities. That just sucks. (And 18 DOA!!! -- how many did you order???)

10. This_guy_Bri

This_guy_Bri weirdo

i've been enticed by Jumellea for sometime
    are they more tolerant of warmer temps than many Angs?

11. Uluwehi

Hooray for Jumellea lovers, you have renewed my faith in orchid 'snobbery' :D hehe.

Oh!: :cry: You can count on me, Breezy.

Thanks Gilles, is this species readily available in the EU?

This year was a large order for me, I even sold off some copper cookware to finance it.

Good! I haven't grown enough species for long enough (my longer-term experience is limited to about 4 species [arachnantha (usually misspelled as arachnanthe), comorensis, confusa, and walleri (formerly filicornoides)] and all of these have been very hardy for me under true warm conditions. I think your impression is based on something solid. I have also had this impression as well. Now I am growing more Jumellea species, and in a few years I'll be able to know more about their needs. J. ibityana comes from 2000m elevation, which would make it a cool-intermediate grower technically, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tolerated more heat.

12. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

No I've never seen it for sale, unfortunately!!:(

13. mrbreeze

I believe most Jumellea to be intermediate growers with quite a few more on the cool side and a few warm. This is based on possibly faulty recollections of countless readings in books and on websites as well as a couple of anecdotes from other growers. I even have a perhaps incorrect impression that size can dictate growing temps to some degree. Basically the bigger the warmer or vice versa.

14. Uluwehi

Well then, we'll have to remedy that! :D