Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Jumellea arachnantha

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Reyna, Apr 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Saturday I had all my plants out of the greenhouse for the annual spring cleaning. Because it was a bit chilly and windy, I had a number of them in my house. So this isn't the greatest photography--but I had to capture this "little guy." For some perspective -- that is a 9 inch square pot. :D

Oh, and it is sweetly fragrant--like a mix of lilac and jasmine. Just wonderful!
    jumellea arachnanthe april 2011 sm.jpg jumellea arachnanthe front april 2011 sm.jpg

2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Absolutely stunning! What are you conditions for this one? What I'd give to be able to smell this. I (somewhat accidently) gave mine a cooler dry rest this winter, and I'm hoping it actually decides to wake up.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

What an inspiration! This month I finally started blooming the single growth plants that I got in a compot a few years back. I was loosing hope that they would bloom in my lifetime. And the fragrance is outstanding and even evident during the day. I hate to ask, but how tall it the plant?

4. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Well after seeing that and Dale's plant, I think i shall *not* take pics of mine. Mine only has around ten flowers. :rolleyes:

Very impressive blooming! :clap:

5. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Your specimen is tremendous. The powerful scent produced by so many flowers must rival any other fragrance possible on this earth in deliciousness. Inspiring indeed!

6. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Thanks guys -- it is fun to share pics when the folks on the board appreciate the plants. (And I must say I am awed by various of your posts as well. :) )

Calvin -- I grow this pretty warm. Most of the culture information I have read says that they do NOT like high temperatures. THe summers here get mighty warm and there isn't much I can do about it -- so I compensate by increased shade and moisture. This plant easily shows when it is getting too much light because the leaves yellow. I don't give it a predominant rest or cool winter, but my entire greenhouse gets lets water, minimal fertilizer and cooler temps all winter. And I don't grow many plants in the "orchid pots" with holes in the sides, but this plant does better now than when it was in a straight clay pot. I keep it in high humidity--very close to my vandas, but the vandas (and their roots) keep it in the shade.

Marni--thank you. I have attached some pictures with a yardstick. It is close to 30 inches tall and well over 36" wide. And I was curious so I counted -- 58 flowers right at the moment with at least a dozen more buds coming.

And it seems like once the plant starts producing keikis all the sudden it goes crazy. Once the plant is big enough to keiki it will produce multiple keikis per summer and they are nearly mature within the year. Then the following year they bloom, the mama plant blooms and well -- it becomes this monster bush of a plant. :)
    jumellea arachantha width april 2011 sm.jpg jumellea arachnantha height april 2011 sm.jpg

Kipper likes this.
  7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Reyna, I will need another greenhouse!

8. orchidnut57

orchidnut57 Member

Awesome
    True eye candy
    Jim

9. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

I love it!! :clap: :clap:

10. orchidnut57

orchidnut57 Member

Impressive sized plant
    Looks healthy, happy and has an awesome display of flowers