Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Is this a Phalaenopsis mutation?

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by John Marvin (Joe Jo), Sep 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

John Marvin (Joe Jo) Member

I bought this plant 4 months ago at Lowe's Home Improvement Phal. 'Lucky Yestripe'. This plant had 6 large healthy green-purplish leafs and beautiful small pink flowers. Within a month it started to die, after 2 months it only had 2 brown leafs left and I thought it was dead. For some reason I just left it sit there with my other 4 Phals. which where not doing to well either but are doing great now, however, they are doing strange things also. Anyway, about 3 months later I noticed a small leaf growing again, then 2 more, in between time it also started to grow 2 new plantlets (may be kiekies) from the inside base of the 2 old brown leafs which where dead and refused to fall off. Now the plant has 3 small new leafs and 2 babies which are catching up with the new leafs. I am really excited about this plant and I'm just loving this happening. Can anyone tell me what is going on with this Phalaenopsis?

Snapshot_20140901_1.JPG Snapshot_20140901_2.JPG

Snapshot_20140901_3.JPG Snapshot_20140901.JPG

Kipper likes this.
  2. Daethen

Daethen Orchid Mom

It is starting some new growth for you and what sounds like 2 basal keikis. It looks like they desperately need more light. Have you repotted any of your phals since getting them?

3. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

I repotted all 5 Phals after the flowers fell, but the main reason for repotting was because they were all in 2.5 plastic containers with just Sphagnum moss and no bark at all. They get plenty of light, 14 hours a day. I think the problem was almost 0% humidity here in the desert bowl of Arizona. Since then I build a mini greenhouse in my kitchen with a west window and air conditioner hot or cool and constant fan which has a greenhouse swamp cooler effect where I can control day-night temperature and humidity. After 4 months, I now have 35 different species and varieties and getting 5 more this week because they are all doing great. I was just wondering about this plant and my other 3 Phals which are doing strange things. After growing orchids for 11 years I just never seen anything like it, but then that was in South Carolina, orchids love it there.

4. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

No, it's not mutating, it's trying to survive.

EGOISTA likes this.
  5. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

Thanks for your reply. It is so amazing to me what orchids will do trying to survive.

6. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

oh yeah, that's the ordinary rule of the nature....try to live ;) or to live trying ....to grow orchids in a world in war.. we are in war against the orchids diseases

7. John Marvin (Joe Jo)

Yes, I tend to agree with you on that!

EGOISTA likes this.