Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Is there a good variety of orchid for an office environment?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by bob.sacamento, Jan 2, 2018.

1. bob.sacamento

bob.sacamento New Member

I'm in a cube. No windows. I think my desk fluorescent light might be enough for an orchid, but I can't do much about it. Can't do anything about the temperature, so temperature will be the same night and day. Is there any variety of orchid that will do OK under such conditions? Thanks.

2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Can you get a little terrarium for your desk?

3. RadioFreeKirkwood

RadioFreeKirkwood chloroplast envy Supporting Member

You're not really describing ideal growing conditions for most orchids so... (barring a terrarium with a more favorable climate) I would suggest that you don't look for an orchid that will flourish in the cubical biome. Instead, I might encourage you to pivot your expectations slightly and look for a few reasonably hardy orchids that do really well for you at your home that you can rotate in and out of the office when they are at their best. You can enjoy their flowers and foliage in the office for a while and them take them back to a place where they grow well.

If you're still figuring out what you like to grow and what does well for you, I wouldn't discourage you from getting anything that appeals to you, but understand that even a very strong hybrid Phalaenopsis will probably just do OK in a windowless cube and without some temperature variation, it may not flower. That is to say, don't think about growing orchids in your office so much as keeping them on life support in the office. Or put another way - you can survive on just Doritos and Mountain Dew for a really long time, but chances are you would look/feel a lot better if you ate real food most of the time.

Chris45 likes this.
  4. carl

carl Active Member

I used to work in a cube. My solution was to bring in a different flowering plant each week, as long as I had one.

The one that got the most attention was Bulbophyllum nymphopolitanum.

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I also work in a cube and bring in flowering orchids. Then I take then home once the flowers start to fade.

I am by a window, but I still would not leave my orchids in the office all year. The lack of temperature variation and low humidity is not a recipe for long term success. That being said I have flowered a phal hybrid in the office in my window cube.