Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ionopsis utricularioides

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jan 23, 2021.

1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

A twig epiphyte, tiny plant with 5/8-3/4" flowers. I have found it very difficult to keep alive more than a couple years, but the flowers make me keep me trying...

ionopsis0121.jpg

Sabinchen, weeand, wpinnix and 2 others like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Lovely! I have sworn off growing this species many times over the years. Very frustrating and very appealing.

Alex Shepack likes this.
  3. Sabinchen

Sabinchen Active Member

Very beautiful Orchid, not easy to grow.:clap:

4. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I was with two biologists in the Fakahatchee swamp in Florida many years ago and saw nice blooming specimens on the tips of branches overhanging deep water pools. The best ones were about 10-12 feet above the water level. Thought being good humidity and also warmth from the water to protect during occasional cold winter nights. If I could find seedlings with Floridian genetics, I would trying growing warm with daily water in the Summer and cool, bright and a bit dry in the winter. Maybe an occasional mist to keep from shriveling.

Sabinchen and Marni like this.