Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ice cube orchid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ernie Baumann, May 12, 2020.

1. Ernie Baumann

Ernie Baumann New Member

Have had this little orchid for at least 3 yr. Doing very well. Has bloomed a few times. Now one of the above ground roots has a new plant growing on the end of it. Need to know how to go about repotting it. Can anyone help me out? Could post a picture of it but not sure if that can be done in this forum. Thinking about trying some other larger or orchids

Attached Files:

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

That is not an aerial root, is is an old flower spike. The plant forming is commonly known as a “keiki” (Kay-key), Hawaiian for “baby”.

When it has grown a total of about 4” of roots, whether that be four, one-inch roots, one, four-inch root, or anything in-between, it may be separated and potted up in a suitable potting medium.

While you’re at it, after three years, I’m reasonably sure the original plant should be repotted into fresh medium at the same time.

3. Ernie Baumann

Ernie Baumann New Member

Thank you, I will repot both at that time. The new plant hasn't formed any roots yet, so will probably be awhile.
    Thanks again for the advice.