Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

I am orchidspecies.com

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JayPfahl, Apr 8, 2019.

1. JayPfahl

JayPfahl New Member

My name is Jay Pfahl and I write Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia an international effort to have photos or drawings of all the world’s orchid species in one easy reference. I started this project in 1996 and to date have documented photos [many in situ] or type drawings of more than 22,476 species within 856 genera with the help of numerous botanists and collectors as well as myself. The site is non-commercial, no plants are bought, sold or traded, and most important it is free to all to use all over the world. I have some 3810382 unique users from more than 205 countries. I hope you all are aware of it but if not check it out. The site is reviewed by many orchid scholars and in fact was encouraged by Dr Leslie Garay in 1997 who donated his entire slide collection to the site. Dr Eric Christenson was also involved early on while he was alive. Many other current Botanists and orchid enthusiasts have donated their time, drawings or photos. I want to monitor your site so I can find species that are not currently represented on orchidspecies.com.

What caught my attention today is the photos of Neobathiea hirtula that was posted by XM Praedicta. I am asking to use his[her] photos of this are species. Are you there? Thanks all, I know that many of you are regular users of my site and I thank you all. One other thing, I am always open to discussion of a species determination. If you feel that a species on my site is incorrect please by all means get in contact with me and we will discuss if it needs to be changed. I do not profess to be an expert in all orchid genera and only want to get it right!!!
    Have a great day
    LIVE LEARN GROW

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome, Jay.

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Welcome Jay! Whenever I’m checking out an unfamiliar species, your site is the first place I go.

Chuck

4. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Welcome, Jay! Your website is a wonder and a reference :) .
    Thank you

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll add my welcome

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jay! Thank you for maintaining such a useful site!

A couple things I noticed about IOSPE recently:
    1. I communicated you about the confusion about Cynorkis angustipetala, C. guttata, and C. speciosa a couple years ago (I think I sent you the paper by Hermans, explaining this confusion). But I think you forgot to fix the problem. Your C. angustipetala is actually C. speciosa. Your C. guttata is C. angustipetala.
    2. In Schoenorchis tixieri page, you have "CAUTION !!!!! Kew has now included this species as a synonym of S fragrans but I have kept them separate for now pending more research." But you don't need this caution any more. I contacted the compiler of Kew's WCSP (R. Govaerts) and notified that Averyanov changed his mind about S. tixieri in his newer paper (Averyanov used to suspect that S.tixieri=S.fragrans, but he considers them to be separate species now). So WCSP updated it a couple weeks ago and is now going with the view that S. tixieri is a separate species.

7. RustyExotics

RustyExotics - Nicholas

Welcome! I actually just used IOSPE last night to look up some plants. It's very cool to hear from the actual person who writes the site!

8. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Welcome, look at your site every chance I get, thank you for the wealth of knowledge you give for free.

9. AnonYMouse

AnonYMouse aka Ree, the not-so-stealthy lurker

IOSPE is a wonderful resource.

10. Maryanne

Maryanne New Member

So good to hear from you, Jay. Keep up the good work. I admire your commitment to maintaining your most informative (and essential ) website.
    Best wishes,
    Maryanne