Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

I am back

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ricardo, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Its been almost two years after hurricanes Irma and Maria hit my island. Things are slowly approaching what used to be normal before the hurricanes. I lost two thirds of my orchids, not in the hurricane per se, but to the massive environmental change that came after the canopy of the forest was ripped apart destroyed. In the days after the hurricane temperatures went up 10 degrees and for months climate swung wildly between drought and deluge. Some of the orchids will probably never be replaced and I still mourn my Dimorphorchis and the Dendrobium devonianum. But life goes on. I have smaller collection and I am happy with it. Surprisingly, I still find, in the area around the house, surviving pieces of Dendrobium with keikis on them. I don't plan to return to the hundreds of plants I used to have, at least not until I retire. But the orchids I have are recuperating and some are even thriving. I expect to contribute regularly those photos of orchids I think are of interest to the members of the forum

AnonYMouse, Nisanisa and ezluckyfreee like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Ricardo, nice to see you back! Wow two years!

Chuck

Ricardo likes this.
  3. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Sorry for your orchid's loss.Wellcome back.

Ricardo likes this.
  4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome back, Ricardo.

You sound like a resilient soul as well as some of your orchids. I certainly hope you don't have more hurricanes for a long, long time.

Ricardo likes this.
  5. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Glad to see you back, and in good spirits!
    Tell us how are the forests restoring themselves after the destruction.
    El Yunque for example; is anything left?
    Having said that, I am reminded that hurricanes are one of the forces that shape the flora of the Caribbean .Its what brings seeds from other parts of the tropics
    to P.R.
    Welcome back again!

Ricardo likes this.
  6. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome back! It sounds like you and your orchids went through a lot, but I'm glad to hear it's getting better.

Ricardo likes this.
  7. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

The forests are bouncing back, but the ones that got hit by category 4 hurricanes winds are so badly damaged it might take many decades to recuperate. At the moment what we have is a massive amount of growth in the forest understory due to the destruction of the canopy. Where I live it will probably start resembling how it was in 15 to 20 years.

8. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Welcome back Ricardo...

Ricardo likes this.