Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hymenorchis javanica

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Dec 23, 2017.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

This species is a mini-jewel. It is originally from Ooi Leng Sun, but the person whom I bought it from accidentally shipped it via USPS First Class, so it travelled to Alaska by a boat. Fresh import + 16 days of domestic travel stressed out the plant, and it took 3.5 years to bloom (a photo of the original condition is in the blog). I wasn't too sure if it would recover, so I'm very happy to see the flowers!

Link to my Orchid Borealis blog post about this plant.

[​IMG]
    Hymenorchis javanica
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Hymenorchis javanica
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Hymenorchis javanica
    on Flickr

weeand, wpinnix, rico and 6 others like this.
  2. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Very nice

3. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

A beauty

4. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Stunning photography and beautiful orchid! I Need to get this one for the collection.

5. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Beautiful Naoki!

6. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Really cute Naoki...looks like the precipitation we've been getting!

7. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like it's recovered very nicely!

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Yes, it's kind of snow like! Actually, it is crazy warm in Alaska, and we aren't getting too much snow this year, though.

9. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Very well done, Naoki,
    Love those white, fragile looking flowers!

10. yuhin

yuhin New Member

Wow, it is beautiful!

Could you give more infos about how to recover from stressed conditions? Mine started to turn yellowish after delivery....

I am afraid it could not make it....

11. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Yuhin, it was a good luck to get it recovered. But here are a couple things I try to acclimate freshly imported plants. For plants which are dehydrated, I consider that hydration is the primary goal. To help in this front, I do not use any additives for the first week. Adding something can increase TDS. Plants passively absorb water, so lowest possible TDS is the easiest water to absorb (via roots and leaves). Then high relative humidity, and lower than optimal light. Lower light reduce the need to open the stomata, and reduce the evaporation. High relative humidity reduce the evaporation when the stomata are open. For mounted plants, I also frequently lay them flat instead of hanging them.

After 1-2 weeks, I apply auxins to promote root production. I use MaxiCrop at 1TBS/gallon, but there are also KelpMax/Kelpak or K-L-N. I don't use it immediately because MaxiCrop raise the TDS/EC quite a lot, and I don't want to interfere with hydration process. Some Trichoderma species (e.g. Rootshield) can promote root production for some plants. Aspirin water can prepare plants against drought stress in some plants. I tried it, but it is difficult to see effects of aspirin water.

I know some people use sugar water, but I've not tried it. Plants do have mechanisms to take up monosaccharides like glucose (white sugar).

Generally, once they start to grow, I keep them a bit drier and less fertilizer for the first couple months (to promote roots).

I hope that yours will recover!

yuhin likes this.
  12. yuhin

yuhin New Member

Thank you so much. It is very kind of you.

I kept it in a shady area with relatively high humidity(60-80%). Maybe I should check the TDS and lay it down.

Thanks again. I wish it can recover....