Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

How to down the grow space?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by jai, May 2, 2016.

1. jai

jai Orchid addict

I'm trying to get the temps down in my grow space. Right now they are 82F high to 65F low and wanted to get them down so I can get some of my cooler growing ones to bloom. Well my question is: Would adding a cooling mat(and set the cool growing ones on it) help keep and give them a cool enough area to bloom? Or will I need to start a wine cooler terrarium? I got this idea from Wade when I watch a few of his videos with his masdevallias(almost always in bloom) growing in his greenhouse.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Where do you find a "cooling mat"?

3. jai

jai Orchid addict

I'm not 100% sure, but Wade uses a piece of carpet pad(it helps with moisture and cooling when it evaporates) as a DIY version. He keeps it moist/damp with masdevallias on it. I hope he see this and gives us some insight.

4. jai

jai Orchid addict

I'm willing to try some different methods to get a cool down. I really want to get my Dracula sodiroi and Masdevallia coccinea to bloom this year.

5. carl

carl Active Member

If you're really serious about getting temperatures down in an inside growing space, I can think of two options: An air-conditioner ducted into the growing space, and on either a thermostat or timer, or an aquarium chiller circulating chilled water through fin tube inside the upper part of the growing space. The former will require some supplemental humidification, as you'll be putting relatively dry air into your growing space.

Either one will set you back several hundred bucks. But they will work; it depends on how determined you are...

6. Natureman

Natureman Active Member

I don't think water chillers have pumps so you might be looking at a aquarium canister filter as well to drive the water through a system with a water chiller. Personally air conditioners just don't work well enough (in my case it didn't work at all) to justify the expense of running it. Refrigeration might be your answer.

7. jai

jai Orchid addict

I think I will invest in a wine cooler or something.