Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

House construction starts...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DukeBoxer, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Alexis

Alexis New Member

It's coming along! How exciting.

Are you able to acquire your building materials locally, or are you shipping in everything from the states?

2. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Tom, I can't wait till I'm down there so you can come and visit!!

Alexis, all of the materials to build the house are acquired locally. There are only a few things that we would need to bring down there from up here that can't be found around where we are. One example would be a garbage disposal for the sink, which is something I want but my wife really doesn't care about. Something else would be the Kohler shower tiles...I can get them for $100 a piece up here and bring them down there easily, but down there they start at $150...so it's saving a little money here and there.

3. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

You lucky shit.

4. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

That's the same way I feel MJ. I talked to my father in law yesterday and he said all the block up to the ground floor is laid. I need to get someone to take some pictures for me...maybe my mother-in-law will walk over today and take some.

5. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

I know that luck has nothing to do with it. I'm just jealous and petty.

6. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

So it's been a while since even my wife and I have seen pictures. I've asked my mother in law to walk over and take a picture at the end of every week so we can have a progress photo album, but alas it didn't happen. My sister in law was in town the other day from San Jose and I asked her to run over and take some pictures and send them to us and she did. It's coming along very nicely. The whole first floor is up and they are pouring the floors now for the second floor mater bedroom and the terrace directly behind it. If I haven't explained it before, the left side of the house will have vaulted ceilings and consists of the living room, dining room and kitchen and the right side of the house is the garage, then 2 bedrooms with the master bed above the garage and a terrace above the bedrooms (we were just going to put a roof above it, but since no one uses attics there, I thought why not put a terrace and not waste the space)

This first picture is of the front. All the wood on the right side is inside the garage (or actually a car bay, it will be open) bracing more wood that they are pouring the concrete over for the floor of the master bedroom. The entrance is the big opening in the middle which will have a balcony above it off of the master bedroom and on the left side is a little nook that we made off of the living room area.

ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_front.jpg

This one is of the back of the house with the bedrooms on the left side, the door going outside in the middle and the window will be where the washer and dryer is going. That little tree is not growing inside the house, but I swear I don't remember it being there when I was there...

ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_back.jpg

This is a shot from inside the master bedroom, where you see the nook coming out in the front and the front balcony above the entrance.

ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_top2.jpg

And here is a shot looking back from the top. The area that steps up is the bathroom which will be connected to a walk-in closet next to it on the right. Behind that is where the terrace will be.

ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_top1.jpg

I can't wait until it has the roof on it to see how it looks! My wife is going down there in a few weeks and staying for a week or so to check everything and maybe pick out floor tiles and Spanish roof tiles and other stuff for the next step of the process. Then when she comes back her mother is coming with her and staying for a month and a half and I might go back down there with her to see everything.

7. piggy30

piggy30 Free?

Very nice! I am soooo jealous. But I will be coming to visit and I will need a tour guide!

8. Candace

Candace Kept Woman Supporting Member

Looks like it's really moving along.

9. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Lucky, lucky shit.

well maybe not so much, with the MIL coming for a month and a half. :D
    How far from your MIL's house is yours?

I can't wait until your house is done. Where ya gonna grow your orchids?

10. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

LOL!

11. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Jon, I saw that...I was about to change it but the mother in law called in on skype...now I'll just leave it ;)

MJ, you're right, my luck did run out a little bit. Their house is about 1500 feet from ours. It's across the main road that runs through the town and down the street a little bit.

Piggy, I'll try to be ready for you!!

12. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Well, it will be okay, I'm sure. I think I could have lived that close to my MIL but, alas, she is gone so I'll never know for sure..

13. Posey

Posey New Member

Cool, you lucky shit. I've never seen a cement house built before. Interesting. Do they dig all those footer thingies by hand? Is that fence cement too? Do you
    have enough space on the sides of the house to get a vehicle into the back yard in case you need to dig something up or put a pool in or something?

14. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

And where will you have your orchids?

15. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

MJ, the orchids will be in the back left corner if the lot. There is a guy in the center of town that made my mother in law a hoop house that they covered with the green shade cloth so we'll probably do the same thing. It's gonna be big too, the way we have the house situated on the lot, I think we have about 75 feet from the back of the house to the back of the lot and it's 50 feet wide.

Posey, yes all the footers are dug by hand and the wall is concrete also. It's actually prefab slabs that people use to build houses also. My wife and I thought it might be less expensive to put a wall up this way instead of using block but it actually came out to be closer in price than we thought. There's probably not enough room on the sides of the house to get heavy machinery by, but I'm not planning on putting in a pool there. With the climate the way it is there a pool isn't really necessary, plus they ate a lot of work. And we live only about an hour from the beach and 15 minutes from lake Arenal.

16. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Here are some new pictures as of yesterday with the walls going up in the master bedroom and also above the entrance...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_front_1.jpg

from the back
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_back_1.jpg

And here is a picture of my wife's nephew, Sebastian, and one of the worker's dog who guards the place at night (actually he falls asleep in the afternoon and everyone leaves so he just stays there to sleep)
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_sebas.jpg

17. Home Grown

Home Grown Hakuna Matata

Which one is my room?:confused:

18. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

If you want, you can use my fathers room when he is not there...it'll be the hammock in between the 2 coconut palms...in the back yard :poke:

19. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

It looks like a castle! DukeBoxer is going to live in a castle!

You could have a moat, that would be cool as shit.

20. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

MJ, it's only gonna be like 9500 square feet. That's not big at all :poke:

Actually I think it's more like 2200 to be honest