Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

House construction starts...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DukeBoxer, Jan 30, 2009.

1. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

House construction starts...Updated 6/18

...slowly but surely. Hopefully it'll be done soon!

The first time I visited Costa Rica I almost cried when I left. How could I leave this paradise I thought...well I went back down, found a beautiful, great wife, bought some land and finally we are starting construction. Here are some pictures of the land and whats happening so far. I'll try to keep updating the pictures as I get them.

When the house is done we will move down there permanently and I will try to pursue a career doing private tours of the country. Hopefully it'll all work out!

Here's a view from the road looking into our lot. It measures 15 meters (49.2') wide by 50 meters (164') long. It comes out to a little more than 1/5 of an acre
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lote4.jpg

Here is a view from the back of the lot to the road
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lote1.jpg

Here you can see they have measured out where the slab will be and are digging out the footers (I think that's the right word) It's pretty exciting seeing something happening on the land, we've had it for about 7 years now.
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lote5.jpg

2. Ron-NY

Ron-NY New Member

Josh, great to see your dream in progress! I'll be down to visit!

3. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

Must be a great feeling knowing you will be getting away from the tundra NE to move to someplace like here.

Hopefully I can be one of your customers someday!

4. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Where in Costa Rica is the land?

5. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Ron and Tom, thanks! Remember you guys (and anyone else for that matter) are always welcome in my home!
    Jon, great question, I knew I forgot to mention something...
    The land is in a small town called Los Angeles located in between Cañas and Tilaran in the north west province of Guanacaste. It's about 15-20 minutes from the west side of Lake Arenal. The land is about 400 - 500 meters above sea level and when you make the short trip between Cañas (lower elevation) and Los Angeles you can definitely feel the change in temperature.

6. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Well, I'm packed and ready. Just give me the word, boss.

7. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Kudos to you for following your dreams!! I've visited CR once, and loved it. Arenal is the name of a local volcano too, yes?

8. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Thanks Alexis! The Arenal volcano is on the other side of the lake. The town right near the volcano is La Fortuna de San Carlos. There are a bunch of hotels over there with the main attractions being the volcano and hot springs.

9. DawnC

DawnC New Member

When shall we come visit? We dont need much, looks like we could already visit and just camp out. Smores?

10. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congratulation, Josh.

11. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Here are some more pictures that my wife sent me today. You can see all the block in the lot and more footers dug out. All the dug out parts are where walls are going to be.

Here's some block
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_cons1.jpg

This part will be where the 2 first floor bedrooms will be...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_cons2.jpg

This is a look at most of the first floor, just some part in the back are cut out. The ditch dug out that enters on the bottom right of the screen then turns 90 degrees towards the front will be the wall separating the kitchen (in front) from the washing machine/dryer area and a half bath. The guy standing on top on the block is wetting it down because it is really windy down there right now and it is drying the blocks out (which I don't understand, but thats what my wife tells me)
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_cons3.jpg

This last shot is the back part of the bedroom side of the house
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_cons4.jpg

I'd throw a floor plan up here, but I have no idea how to save a sketchup model as a jpeg. If someone wants to chime in, I'll do it...I know I remember seeing the option somewhere.

12. Home Grown

Home Grown Hakuna Matata

Tell those workers to hurry up so we can all come and visit. I have been planning my imaginary trip to Monteverde for years...(big dramatic sigh)

13. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

DJ, you've never been? It's pretty freakin' awesome there! I go almost every time I am down there. It's actually where I met my wife, and I proposed to her in an orchid garden there. Usually we go to eat pizza at an Italian restaurant there. They have a wood fired brick oven and turn out probably the best pizza in the country! Tilaran is actually in a pretty good are from a tourists stand point, it's about and hour and a half from the Arenal Volcano, and about 2 hours (2 1/2 sometimes) from Monte Verde, 2 of the most visited areas in Costa Rica.

14. Home Grown

Home Grown Hakuna Matata

Nope. Never even been on a plane before! I want Monteverde as my first trip:D

15. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

OK, so I haven't been around in a while. I just got back from Costa Rica. I went down on February 25th and came back March 8th (actually the 9th) and we're just taking some pictures off of the camera right now. Here are the latest pictures. They have all the re-bar cages in the footers on top of about 5cm of concrete, plus all the re-bar structural support columns up and they just started to pour the foundation. Plus we built a bodega to store all the materials in.

The weather wasn't the greatest while we were there, it was real windy and with the wind, down came mist from clouds in the mountains. It was weird because about 2 miles down the road, it was hot with blazing sun and zero wind. Anyway here are the pictures...

*update*

I missed these 2

Here are the workers just putting up the re-bar columns
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lot4.jpg
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lot5.jpg

*end update*

from the back looking out to the road...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lot3.jpg

from the back right side of the house (looking at it). That rectangle area is where the washer and dryer will be...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lot2.jpg

Looking straight on from the front, that rectangle area in the middle will be an entrance with a little balcony on top coming off of the master bedroom...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_lot1.jpg

Here is a picture of me and the bodega (makeshift shed) I told my wife that if we got in a fight I was going to go stay in there till we left...unfortunately we never got in a fight so I couldn't sleep there, not like I really wanted to...
    ai199.photobucket.com_albums_aa69_joshlep1302_bodega.jpg

16. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

looking good man. you must be thrilled.

17. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Forrest, you have no idea!!!!! It's really a great feeling to know that you're finally going to have your own house

18. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Why all the rebar and cinder blocks? Hurricanes or earth quakes or something?

19. DukeBoxer

DukeBoxer Active Member

Earthquakes...I think there was one there today in the southern part of the country, near the border with Panama. The cinder blocks is what they make the house out of, it's all block, concrete and metal construction, no wood. It lasts longer that way in that climate. Kind of like in Florida I guess.

20. Tom_in_PA

Tom_in_PA I am not an addict

I cannot wait to come down and visit :)