Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Homalopetalum pumilio flask

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by rico, Oct 6, 2018.

1. rico

rico Active Member

Just a few weeks ago I bought a flask of Homalopetalum pumilio I had pre-ordered from Ecuagenera when they came to the Chicagoland Orchid Festival. I have it in my basement with a florescent light. Since it has been in my care some plants in the flask have started to die, but there is no apparent mold growth or contamination. I was thinking it may be mechanical damage caused by the flask being in transit and the plants being jumbled around. Aside from if anyone sees a cause for concern from my pictures, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of when to deflask these. They don't seem to have adult growths yet but I'm not sure how much longer they should stay in. Any help/knowledge would be appreciated! Thank you!!!

IMG_4678 (1).JPG IMG_4679 (1).JPG IMG_4680 (1).JPG IMG_4681.JPG

2. Piranhacon

Piranhacon Member

I recommend removing them from the flask as soon as possible.

Remove the agar from their roots. Remove dead plants from the clump. Then put them in a shallow tray with drainage with a thin layer of moss. Place the entire clump on top of the moss.

Allow plants to dry before placing a vented dome on top of the tray.

rico likes this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree it is time to take them out.

rico likes this.
  4. rico

rico Active Member

Well, here they are. Upon removal from the flask the clump promptly fell apart so I set the individual groups in as they were. They’ve been soaked in the recommended dilution of Physan 20 and given highly diluted fertilizer, so they are back in their spot in the basement for now. Thanks for the help!

BE31B902-1AB6-47D3-AE36-BD2D0B383519.jpeg B62F9538-60A7-410D-A3DB-0315197068F2.jpeg

5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

A minor high jack here...

Why soak them in a disinfectant like Physan?

In the flask they are in a totally sterile environment, so there is nothing to disinfect. Secondly, Physan does not impart any immunity or future protection to the plants, so again, why stress the plants with a strong agent for no reason?

If you want to do something that DOES prevent future issues and "beefs up" the ex-flask seedlings, a living plant probiotic like Concentric Ag Garden Solution, or even Quantum Orchid is a much better choice (although Garden Solution is a much broader-spectrum product).

rico likes this.
  6. rico

rico Active Member

I realize the plants would be sterile, but I used it on the moss too because that has been exposed for a long time.

7. ezluckyfreee

ezluckyfreee Member

How are they doing now?