Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hi from Sydney

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jane, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Jane

Jane New Member

I'm Jane from Sydney in Australia. After growing a mixed collection, largely our lovely - and tough! - Aussie native spp and hybrids, I am now enraptured by the magical world inside the tiny terrarium in my bedroom. It is a totally low-tech (no fans, auto misters etc) old aquarium lit by two Aqua-One LEDS. Plus light from the window. After running for about 6 months, it houses Angraecum didieri, Macodes petola, Haraella? retrocaella (budding), Bulbophyllum frostii, Mediocalcar decoratum, Lepanthes calodictyon (thriving to my surprise in the current heatwave), Tristadella triglochin, Pleurothallis grobyi, Restrepias, Anoectochilus ?roxburghii, Amesiella philippensis, Epidendrum porpax, Dryadella zebrina, Platystele umbellata (flowers continuously), and a few other non-orchids. Temperature varies widely from around 12 C on winter nights to well over 30 in summer heat. It is partly an experiment to see what will cope with our increasingly extreme climate without expensive and energy consuming technology. The ventilation consists of a couple of holes in the lids plus me blowing on it a couple of times daily . 20191219_140646.jpg 20191219_140635.jpg 20191219_140646.jpg 20191219_140635.jpg Mist/water by spray bottle 2-3x daily (rainwater with a couple of drops of orchid ferts or seaweed extract).I am a technology idiot but will try to get a photo or two to show the structure. This is basically a false bottom on an old plastic tray with holes to allow water circulation, a couple of inches of water in the bottom, plus an aquarium air stone and aerator to move the water and prevent stagnation. Heating by old aquarium heater if needed, but it was not required last winter. Nice to meet you all!

Foozil likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Jane. Welcome to the Forum.

Your terrarium is beautiful. I love that it is so low-tech and it seems to be very happy. Congratulations

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm impressed with your creation! Well done.