Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hi from Louisiana

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Greenie, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Greenie

Greenie New Member

Hi fellow orchid growers. I live in the New Orleans area and I grow mini catts. and believe it or not, miltoniopsis. The majority of my collection is miltoniopsis. In the course of thirty years of growing the milts., I killed more than my share of plants. I gave up thinking that the plant needed cool temps. to flourish. I met a grower at an orchid show who tried to sell me a beautiful yellow miltoniopsis. I told him that even though I love the plants, it will be dead in a period of eight months. He asked me if I tried to grow them inside and I told him that I did under grow lights. I told him it was too hot to grow them in La. He said that's not true. He said since I grow them indoors if I'm comfortable, the plants will be comfortable too. I told him that I grew them in a spare room with a humidifier and a ceiling fan that was on 24 hours. He told me that my conditions sounded perfect and he told me what my problem was. He said to never water with tap water and water with distilled water. I bought the plant and took his advice. That plant that I purchased from him is doing fine and I purchased many more. I haven't killed a plant in nine years. I can't believe the number of plants that I killed due to using tap water. You definitely learn something new every day. I wish that I learned that lesson before I wasted hundreds of dollars killing plants.

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi, Greenie. Welcome to the forum.

BTW, some tap water is fine for orchids depending on the local water mineral levels. I have been using tap water on my orchids for 20 years. Other places are as you describe where distilled, rain or R.O. water is needed.

3. Greenie

Greenie New Member

Thanks for the welcome. BTW, I use tap water on all of my other orchids such as my mini catts. and cymbidiums. The grower told me that the roots of the miltoniopsis are very thin and are very sensitive to salt. As a result I use an org anic fertilizer with no salt to fertilize them. This seems to be working for me. BTW, an orchid grower told me to try to grow a few of my plants in semi hydro. I placed a couple in semi hydro and a month later, the growths on those experimental plants were amazing. I currently have all of my milts. in semi hydro and they are growing like weeds. All of my other orchids are growing in typical orchid media and I have no desire to put them in semi hydro. A few of my mini catts. I've had for over nine years.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome and thanks for the very informative introduction. Hopefully we will see some of your blooms.

Many people underestimate the serious effects of poor water quality.