Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hi from Edinburgh - Repotting Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mia, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Mia

Mia New Member

Hi :)
    I’m new to this forum and have a few questions about my orchids. as you can see from this picture, one has plenty of green roots. I’d like to know if it could be a good idea to repot once the plant has stopped blooming, as I don’t want it to get rootbound.
    My other orchid, however, has been treated the same way and yet it’s roots are not spreading very far- it has some air roots but none that go very deep in the pot. I am wondering if this orchid would benefit from repotting and a new mixture (perhaps this one is too densely packed?)
    I bought both a few months ago and they were supermarket orchids.
    Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to any suggestions you may have.
    Mia

Attached Files:

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome, Mia.

Without question, the best time to repot any plant is just as new roots are emerging from the base of the plant. That may-, or may not coincide with going out of bloom. Considering the time of year, you might to better two wait for warmer weather.

Phalaenopsis tend to form extensive aerial roots when they are too big for the current container and are starting to get a bu=it top heavy. The roots may be thought of as "guy wires" that are attempting to stabilize the plant better.