Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hey!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mariel, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mariel

Mariel New Member

Hi there, my name is Mariel. I've been collecting and growing orchids in Montana for about 3 years now, with a little bit of everything in the collection so far. Mostly phals along with cattleya, cymbidium, zygopetalum, militoniopsis, and one stubborn paph.

I grow all of my orchids in a semi-hydroponic system and have so far had good success. I'd love to hear others experience with the semi-hydro as well as maybe some tactics for overcoming growing tropical plants in such a cold, dry environment! (I can't water my orchids reliably every day with my job, I'm gone for weeks at a time without much notice).

Other unrelated orchid things: I love to create. Sometimes that's painting, sometimes its quilting, other times its rearranging the house furniture. Oh, and i have 3 fish (Archimedes and Luna, goldfish; and Mufasa, a beta) whom are very helpful in the orchid care department.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'm excited to meet some equally obsessed orchid growers! We are few and far between up here!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    JohnF likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi, Mariel. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good variety in your collection.

There are a few here on the forum that grow semi-hydroponically and they will probably speak up. Are your plants indoors with artificial lighting or in a greenhouse?

3. Mariel

Mariel New Member

Oh I wish they were in a greenhouse! I can't even say they have artificial light yet, that is perhaps a project I am planning this winter. My low light orchids are placed in bright areas around the house and I've got the higher light ones in a south facing window that's shaded by an elm tree.

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like it is working for you.