Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hello from South San Francisco!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Matt, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Matt

Matt New Member

Good morning! I’ve been growing orchids for 15+ years. Lately, I’ve been focused mainly on Angraecoids, PNG Dendrobiums and Sophronitis. I also grow mini-catts, neofinetia, encyclia and tolumnia. I have a few typical grocery store/ Trader Joe’s type phals and oncidiums as well. These are gifts that I don’t have the heart to toss, so they get the same care and attention as the rest of my collection :)

I’ve learned a lot about growing orchids over the years, mainly from attending shows. I will engage vendors and exhibitors in conversation and ask about their cultural tips and tricks. I highly recommended attending an orchid show or joining your local Orchid society.

I’ve been an AOS member for years and read ORCHIDS magazine regularly. The AOS is an invaluable source of information. If you’re a member, you can search through the entire magazine catalog for articles on specific plants or topics.

I’m happy to finally join the forum. I look forward to learning more and seeing everyone’s beautiful blooms!

D Cal and Chris45 like this.
  2. Chris45

Chris45 Member

Welcome from Kentucky!

Matt likes this.
  3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Welcome to the forum!

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome from Redding.
    I spent the weekend in the East Bay with family. Could have waved to you :)

5. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Welcome from New Hampshire...I’ll be heading to San Francisco for the show in a couple days.

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome!

Property values may have been your friend out there. SSF used to be the home of Rod McLellan’s “Acres of Orchids” - 45 acres under glass, if I recall correctly. A great place to visit and give away your money. The land was far too valuable to keep as a nursery.

7. D Cal

D Cal Marin County California Outdoor (mostly) grower

Welcome. Marin County here. Word to the wise, at some point I got several TJ's oncidium hybrids, they bloomed beautifully - and then I tested them with Agdia kits and they were off the charts positive. Instead of taking a full ten minutes to develop the positive reading, it took about a minute.
    I also didn't want to just dump them so I gave them away on Craigslist to someone who didn't have an orchid collection.
    Swore off store bought NOIDs since then

8. D Cal

D Cal Marin County California Outdoor (mostly) grower

Oh, and Ray, McLellan's is the place some of the most notable bay area orchid growers got their start, many decades ago.