Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hello from Oregon and please.... help me

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by scruffy, Sep 9, 2013.

1. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

I have been reading this forum for a while for problem solving and to see what's out there. I love Bulbophyllum, cycnoches and pleurothallis. I have been a serious addict for only two years.

And now I got one major issue (for me it is major because it does not go anywhere!!!).
    My Bulbophyllum tingabarinum is loosing its leaves two or three per day. It was a specimen when I got this in July but since then it has been like this from day one.
    I have soaked in consan to see if it stops doing it but, it is still loosing leaves. There were leafless bulbs came with this specimen and when I tried to remove them half of them were rotted and full of water.
    I was suggested water it daily but I have stopped watering for three days now. It is getting good air flow.
    third photo is one of bulbs from the same specimen what I have removed from to see if removing it helped and ...same thing happed.

Could anyone tell me what is going on with this please?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Scruffy, first, welcome to OI. I hope you stay with us.
    As for the plant ... this species will shed leaves but loosing 2-3 per day certainly sounds excessive. The live leaves do not look dehydrated, which would indicate there are good live roots on the plant, and are a good color. Normal leaf drop would progress more like the yellowing leaf as shown in the lower right of photo #2. The third photo (single bulb) appears to have no live roots and the leaf looks mushy.

My first thought is that the sphagnum is too thick and covering the pseudobulbs and bases of some of the leaves. This could lead to the bulbs and leaf bases staying wet too long, allowing fungal infection and the condition of the leaf in the third photo. My recommendation is to remove the plant from the mount, inspect the roots, remove any dead or rotted plant parts, wash the roots under running water, remount on a fresh mount with fresh sphagnum and take care to cover only the roots with the moss.

Hopefully others will comment with their opinions as well. Good luck to you with this. Coincidentally, I remounted my B. tingabarinum yesterday.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

My guess would be too much moss also. That moss looks awfully clean and white to have been on the plant for more than a few weeks. It may have been added recently, but it may be that the plant isn't really established on the mount. So definitely take off the moss and I would also cut the fine fishing line to see if the plant holds itself on to the mount with roots. You don't say where your are growing it and what conditions of humidity, light and temperature it is getting. And welcome to OI.

4. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Even though I said to remount it, what Marni said makes more sense. If it has good healthy roots going into the mount don't rip it off and start over.

6. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Kelly and Marni thank you for your response.

I am going try your suggetion but, I just wanted to let you know when I got this plant there was not any moss. it had one flower on. I was suggested to put the moss or grow it in a pot in order to the roots to absorb water well. (the seller use to dunk the plant in water daily) The moss is about a month old and I have furtilized it only once or twice since the plant is clearly stressed.

I grow it in my atrium and temperature these days between 64- 84 and humidity is between 72-94. The light level is moderate.

I start to wonder if it is diseased.:confused:
    Again thank you for your help.

7. Marni

Scruffy, take the moss off for sure. Your temperature and humidity sound perfect. See if there are any roots. I think you should try to water it so it approaches dryness between waterings, but doesn't get crispy. You may just be smothering the plant in moss and causing rot by not having any airflow around the plant. The leaves look healthy to me.

8. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Ok. I certainly will remove the moss. I'll let you know how things go. Thank you again Marni.

9. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Hi welcome to the forum! I agree with Marni and Kelly, you certainly want to remove that moss. It's smothering the plant. The leaf loss looks like its due to fungal or bacterial infection. If there are any wet, mushy or soft pbulbs I'd remove them but it appears the bulk of the plant is in good shape. A tip for future mounting, use only a small pad of moss under the plant and try not to cover the plant and its roots. The plant will eventually attach itself and acclimate to the mount. Good luck! If you have any more questions please ask! There are tons of excellent growers here all willing to help.

-Zach

scruffy likes this.
  10. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Thank you everyone for welcoming and supporting me. I already feel good to be here.

I have attached photos after removed the moss.
    I am going to cut off any infected discolored bulbs and soak all healthy plants with Consan.
    Shall I keep them mounted like how it was when I got this plant(with out moss, what you see the photo is what it was like when I bought and it was already rotting)?
    Do the bulbs those are not attached have to be planted separate?
    How often do you suggest to water it?
    Do I expect to stop yellowing leaves immediately?

Thank you again.

Attached Files:

11. Marni

I don't see any healthy/active roots. Personally, I would take it off of the mount and start fresh. There are several separate division there that may have been connect to each other at one point. If you can get some cork bark and mount one of the pieces it on that and perhaps another piece on a fresh piece of tree fern that would be a good start. To encourage roots you want to keep the plant bit drier than normal, at least let the mount just dry before re-watering. On cork that will be much sooner than on tree fern. You could also put a piece of it in a pot in bark.

scruffy likes this.
  12. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Zach, Thank you for your welcoming and tips. ....so you do not cover roots with moss at all when you mount orchids? That is very different.

13. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Marni
    I was also wondering about there are many separate pieces attached on new tree fern board.
    very interesting.
    You are right there are only a few new roots growing..

14. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Welcome to O I , what part of Oregon do you live in, there are some really good growers.

15. scruffy

scruffy Active Member

Thank you John. I'm in Portland area. Do you know any good growers around here?
    I just noticed your photo. Is it Masdevallia erinacea?
    Do you have one of those? I have been thinking to get it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013