Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hello from Montreal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Emma, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:

Lycaste orchid growing tips

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emma

Emma New Member

Hi everyone, my name is Emma I am an orchid collector from Montreal. I started with phals but now I have oncidiums, vandas, cymbidiums and a few other species... I have close to 80 plants and things are starting to be crowded in this home lol. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury to grow my orchids outside all year long because of our Canadian winters.
    I want to have some tips about the Lycaste, I have killed 2 already! So before I become a serial killer, I need to get the info about this orchid, totally obsessed about it. So all the Lycaste growers out there, send me some tips! ;) and anyone from Montreal say hi! 60EB326B-5E67-495E-BAE8-FDA59C2919C1.jpeg 77BF1324-22C4-4F7D-AEF8-DFCF92DBD73A.jpeg 611700EB-17BE-4BD7-9F90-02F8B6B8FB20.jpeg

CoveLady and Chuck-NH like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Welcome Emma,

Very nice pictures! I am you neighbor in New Hampshire. I have a greenhouse manufactured in Quebec that is very good in the cold and snow. I used to have a good friend in Laval that had one of the best Masdevallis collections in the world back in the 1980's. As for Lycastes, I have not completely figured them out. I had experienced rot in prior winters, so last year kept a little on the dryer side and then watered heavily during the Summer. They seem to look good now and will post if I get anything to bloom well over the Winter into next Spring.

3. Emma

Emma New Member

4. Emma

Emma New Member

Thank you for reaching out :) I totally agree on reducing the water during winter time. We don't realize that it could take more time for the water to evaporate with the cold and the heating systems of our home (in my case). Let me know how it goes with your Lycastes ;) Keep in touch, ciao