Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hello fellow orchid growers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Albert the Cave Man, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Albert the Cave Man

Albert the Cave Man New Member

A friend recommended that I join the Orchid Forum. I grow primarily miniature orchids under lights, and have been doing this for about 45 years. I'm a "leaf man" meaning I'm not as concerned with flowers as I am with the overall plant: Considering that most of the time (excluding many oxys) that plants are without flowers, it's important that you like the way the plant looks when out of bloom. I have a unique set up, a "Lagering Cave", that was part of an early 19th century brewery, that is now my home. The cave is part of the basement, in which I have built an underground "greenhouse". Thank you for letting me be a part of you group.

PerpetualIrish likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum.
    What country are you in?

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Welcome, looking forward to seeing photos of cave and Orchids!

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Same here! Your set-up sounds unique. Plus I love the emphasis on leaves. Are you focusing on any particular genus/groups? I noticed your mention on oxys.

5. Albert the Cave Man

Albert the Cave Man New Member

I reside in the great state of New Jersey. I grow primarily miniatures of all types, including oxyglossum Dendrobiums, pleurothalids, etc., etc. I have attached a few images of my setup. I have 8 light benches and about 800 plants, including many smaller varieties of Bromeliads.

Attached Files:

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Albert is a fantastic grower with a unique growing area. Looking forward to more photos. Welcome to the forum!

7. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Since you mentioned NJ, I think I might have met you in the past and pretty sure I’ve seen photos of your growing area...welcome again.

8. Arne

Arne New Member

Welcome!

I believe I can see several Neofinetias; are those varieties of the species or do you have hybrids as well?