Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Hardwood chunks for mounting

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by chrismende, Apr 15, 2017.

1. chrismende

chrismende Waaaay too many! Supporting Member

Home Depot has bags of various kinds of hardwood chunks for barbecue use. Can these be used for mounting?

2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Chris, do you know which kind it is? Hickory? Here is a good thread: mounting orchids what is the best material?

I haven't tried many, but I usually go for cedar shingles. Easy to cut and long lasting. Indeed, I happen to find a large supply of my shingles in the backyard, half buried under soil. I think the previous owner just put the left over siding there. I don't know when she did this, but I'm guessing at least 10 years or so sitting on the soil, completely exposed to the element. Well, rate of biodegradation is slow in subarctic, but it is still impressive.

jai likes this.
  3. jai

jai Orchid addict

Make sure that they are not treated with fire starter chemicals too.

4. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Chris, I believe most of that is dried, untreated wood, and should be OK, but read the label!

I have used cedar boards, but I am a big fan of virgin cork oak bark, as the mounted plants on it look really "natural", and the grooves are great for the roots to grab and get moisture a bit longer.

Maryland Cork is the source of most of it in the US. They carry tubes and slabs.

jai likes this.
  5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Chris, also at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. you can frequently find redwood stakes in their cement, mortar, brick area. These are about 1.5" wide x about 3/4" thick and about 12" long. Some stores will only sell them by the bundle but others have them available as individuals. If you can buy individual stakes you can pick through them and get the good all-heart ones that will last a long time. Depending on the size they are only 25-35 cents each.

jai likes this.
  6. Fumiaki Takahashi

Fumiaki Takahashi miniature orchidaholic

How large are the chunks?
    Do they have splinters?