Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria Summer Tanager

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by RustyExotics, Sep 28, 2018.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics - Nicholas

This is a fairly new "complex rhodocheila" hybrid that was registered in August of 2017 by Leon Glicenstein. I'm calling it a "complex rhodocheila" hybrid, because it's a complex hybrid made up entirely of Habenaria spp. in the rhodocheila complex... Fairly self-explanatory...

To break down the parentage some: Hab. Summer Tanager is Hab. Conure x roebelenii. Hab. Conure is xanthocheila x Hampson. Hab. Hampson is rhodicheila x roebelenii. Looking at all the plants that were used to create this hybrid, it's really no shock as to how bright an orange the flowers are. Hab. rhodocheila is orange (one of its forms at least), Hab. roebelenii is a slightly darker orange, and Hab. xanthocheila is a beautiful, bright yellow.

The flowers are actually decently sized for a rhodocheila hybrid (lip was about 2.75 cm long ) which was a shock to me.

P1090536.JPG
    P1090542.JPG
    P1090528.JPG

Marni, DarleneJay and John Klinger like this.
  2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I love the color.