Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria species

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Sep 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Due to a summer cold, I wasn't up for my workout today so I used the time to take some pics. Habenaria rhodocheila and erichmichaelii are in bloom, both with two spikes. Unfortunately for reasons unknown (maybe extreme heat?), this year the erichmichaelii flowers are fading as fast as they open. Usually all the flowers stay open for a while as more open and make a sort of christmas-tree sort of shape. I have included a comparison pic of these two species sometimes lumped together. From the differences in foliage , size and flower morphology, they are clearly distinct species. Top flowers on the two plants are identical distance from the lens.
    rhodocheila0910.jpg ericmichaelii0910.jpg habenariascompare.jpg

J E and Kipper like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Tennis. I don't do well with them, so appreciate the show here.

3. Karen

Karen Species nut

Lovely!

4. lupot1812

lupot1812 New Member

Beautiful pics. How humisd is youre growing area and what temperatures do you have. These Habenarias are pretty resistant to hot weather. The flowers might be fading due to low humidity. I hope this helps

5. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Well, it's been 100% humidity outside here so the evap cooler only adds to that in the GH, where the temps have been in the low 90's (except for the cool growing tunnel for the trichopilias, etc.) for the last two months.