Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria rhodocheila - when to pot

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Kevin, Feb 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I purchased a Habenaria rhodocheila 'Cardinal's Roost' HCC/AOS early in the winter. It arrived dormant as would be expected and I've been storing it at room temp. So when do I pot this babe up? Should I wait until I see some signs of life like I do with Hab. radiata or what? From what I've found on the web, they don't wake up until late spring or so. Has that been your experience?

Any other suggestions or comments as to culture would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

2. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Hi Kevin, don't take what I say as the gospel truth since I have only been growing this species for a year. I got a dormant tuber last February and began watering it in March. I watered it once and then put it in my growing area. I let the mix dry out between waterings until I saw new growth appear. Once the growth tips were 3cm long I stopped letting the medium dry between waterings and instead kept it moist.

3. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

I asked Clark Riley, who grows a lot of these, when he spoke here about this. He said to pot and water on tax day (apr.15th). I have done his the last three years successfully, watering sparingly until I see growth.

However, I checked on these today and saw one has new growths already about 3.6" high and am thinking I'll have to pot that one up now and start watering it.

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Thank you both.

Hmmmmmm....

I think I'm just going to keep checking this one for signs of growth and make my decision as the weeks go by.

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Well, it sprouted. I've been checking once or twice a week, so this appeared quickly. It's really nice to see this is actually alive since I purchased it dormant a few months ago.
    IMG_2189.JPG