Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria quinqueseta

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Aug 21, 2020.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this plant from Lee's Botanical Gardens about 3 years ago. As with many Habenaria, the flower structure is pretty cool. I've tried a couple of Habenaria (H. repens and H. floribunda) from Florida. They grow and flower ok for a couple seasons, but they don't seem to last for a long. Does anyone have a tip to keep them growing for a long time? In the winter, I keep it a bit drier (water once a week).

P8200001.jpg P8200002.jpg P8200012.jpg P8200039.jpg P8200057.jpg P8200075.jpg

J E, W. Malewa and Chuck-NH like this.
  2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Very cool! I have not tried any Habenaria from the Americas. Do you grow any of the Habenaria from Asia? If so, how is their longevity?

3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I've had similar issues with American Habenaria. They thrive for years, then just rot for seemingly no reason... That's actually what happened to my Hab. quinqueseta. I'm going to try to give them a slightly cooler winter this year and see if that helps, but I unfortunately cannot give any solid advice about them.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Darlene, I've tried Habenaria humistrata and Pecteilis susannae, but they didn't do from the beginning (either the tubers didn't sprout, or died quickly right after import). So I don't have much experience with Asian Habenaria.
    Nick, do you grow them outside? It seems to be close to their range.

5. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I do not grow them outside, but I want to try whenever I get more American species. I have a friend who grows some Platanthera very successfully in an outdoor bog garden. He even has some Pleione that he mulches heavily and covers with plastic in the winter to keep them a little warmer and dryer. The native Habenaria are less cold-hardy, but I think it may be possible to cultivate them in this way if enough care is given. If I can get any species, I'll let you know if it works overtime.