Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria Light Wings

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by RustyExotics, Jun 10, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

This is one of the most exciting times of the entire year for me - Habenaria flowering season. I cannot wait to see what the rest of my plants bring me this year, and I will be very excited to show you all, too. Hopefully we have some really nice blooms! Granted, this is a very early flowering, even beating my Habenaria erichmichelii which usually are the first to flower each year.

This is my favorite Habenaria hybrid (xanthocheila x medusa), but it's usually a more pale-yellow than this. This plant was purchased as Habenaria Light Wings 'Orange,' which was slightly disappointing to me. However, I still think it's beautiful and was delighted to see that's it's really not too orange. I know the person who made the cross and trust that it is true on the Hab. xanthocheila end. Not to mention he had pictures of some of his xanthocheila, which also were true-to-name.

I usually wait to take my pictures when more of the flowers are open, but I was honestly too excited to wait...

P1120948 Dark.jpg
    P1120944 Dark.jpg
    P1120940 Dark.jpg

2. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Amazing shape! I love the color, too.
    How do you grow your habenarias?

3. RustyExotics

I have the majority of my Habenaria potted in the same, peat-based soil. It's a terrestrial mix. I grow them under full-spectrum blue+purple LEDs. They grow intermediate, with the exception of a few which actually grow in a cold-growing area. During active growth, I don't let them dry out. I fertilize once every 2 weeks or so with a 1/2 strength balanced fertilizer. I used to treat them with a innoculant, and they seemed to like it, but the increased bacterial presence in the soil caused a bunch of rot very, very quickly after going dormant. Needless to say, I will not be doing that this year...

4. ash1de

ash1de Active Member

Absolutely beautiful. My habenarias (medusa and rhodocheila) have only started to come up--but then again, this is Michigan and spring was slow to arrive this year.

RustyExotics likes this.
  5. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you. I have also bought some "beneficial bacteria", but your experience makes me a little bit reluctant in using it for my orchids.
    Thank you so much for all these details

6. RustyExotics

I actually would suggest trying it! I use the same inoculant for the rest of my orchids, and they do really well. I had some monster Anguloas a few years ago that only did started to grow exceptionally with the use of the beneficial bacteria. Likewise, my Paph. tigrinum does very well for me, too, but only when I use the bacteria.
    The problem with it and my Habenaria was the dormancy. When the plants are in active growth, the roots of the plant and the bacteria and/or mycorrhizal fungus can actively grow and flourish together. When the plants are dormant, and there are no roots and therefore no nutrient exchange, the precious tubers become a very easy source of nutrients for the bacteria. That's at least what I expected was the reason for such quick rot after dormancy began, since I had never experienced it before and had just started using the inoculant on my Habenaria.

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Nicholas, very interesting information on the microbes. I've been using them for some years and continue to believe it is very helpful. Having said that, I have not done as well with habenarias as a few years ago. I'll pay more attention to this going forward.

RustyExotics likes this.
  8. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you very much, Nicolas and Marni. How do you use your innoculant? Do you dissolve it in water, or you just mix it in the substrate? - I have TNC MycorrMax.

9. Marni

I mix mine in water with a fungicide. I was using a powder, but now I have a liquid. I started using it on seedlings out of flask and found it so helpful that I now use it on a lot of things. I spray it on the roots of plants that have just been potted or mounted. I also use it on plants I receive bare root. Just recently I ran the microbe solution through the proportioner with the fertilizer and watered everything with it. I did not use fungicide for that.

10. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you, Marni.

11. RustyExotics

I use mine similar to Marni - dissolved in water with a fertilizer. I mainly use Inocucor which is a liquid and contains Bacillus and Saccharomyces. I have another one that's a cocktail of microbes, including several beneficial fungi, but I don't use it as much. I can't recall it's name at the moment.

12. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Nicholas - Great Habenaria. I love the color and the wispy petals.

Thanks for the microbe conversation. I am experimenting with them this year.

Marni, does the fungicide not kill the good bacteria and fungi. Also what fungicide do you use?

Thanks all!!

13. Marni

Some fungicides will and some don't. I've been using Thiram. But it is hard to come by in smaller quantities in the US. I'm planning on doing some testing with some from the hydroponic industry.

14. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Very interesting!