Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria davidii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by EGOISTA, Aug 5, 2015.

1. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Hi to everybody,
    I was absent from this forum, I apologize,
    my spare time was absent too , I want share with all you
    this good blooming of my Habenaria davidii, a plant of 3 years

IMG_5618.JPG IMG_5616.JPG

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    gg68 and leo like this.
  2. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

IMG_5615.JPG

Pixietoe likes this.
  3. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Absolutely spell binding. I'm in love with the marvelous lips on all these habenarias

4. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

all species of Habenaria are amazing but is not simple get it and get it sane, the sellers often do not keep the bulbs in the correct way and they sell it dry in the vegetative season or humid in the rest season, often out of necessity but sometimes lack of competence, it is not easy the starting of the new vegetation, some species are very hard to grow because sensibles of rot ... I tried the Pectelis susannae and sagarikii some years ago, after 2 years are died, so I consider this blooming a successfull

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Egoista, welcome back. Nice flowers.

6. leo

leo African orchids only :-)

Egoista, that's a great plant! Could you please give some advice on how to successfully grow Habenarias (what sort of substrate, how much water over the year, fertilizer, etc.). Somehow, I never succeeded with these - with terrestrials in general, actually...

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Always nice to see your posts whenever you have time. I've not seen this before so an especially welcome sight. I have been growing habenarias for about 4 years. I am finally getting more confident that I won't kill the majority of them. The success rate of purchased plants/tubers is not great.

8. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Thank you so much, always nice to take part of this forum. Replying to Leo, in my experience it is very important a well drained media with perlite and pumice and a little bit of peat, to avoid overwatering. I take it inside a little plastic pot, under a protection of rain taking care to avoid the overwatering when the plant is coming to grow and it is coming to go in the dryrest, in the winter I take it in its pot at about 8 /10 C° of temperature and I filled it rarely with light mistingsometimes. I have a little little bit of humus in the compost when I repot it ( in the dry rest before the revival at the end of the winter )... It become to grow in the late spring. Normally I do not give it fetilizer but only few granes of Osmocote for acidophlic plants,or nothing fundamental is a big bottom, litteral translate of Italian espression "un sacco di culo" that means a lot of luck!

9. leo

Egoista, many thanks for your advice! I have seen Habenarias in the wild in Guinea, where they were growing in a very rich soil, far from free-draining, but the whole soil profile was only a couple of cm thick on top of solid rock, sometimes only pockets of soil in cracks. So I wonder if it is rather if a very shallow pot would be better than a deep one, as there is much less danger of retaining too much water inside that might become stagnant and make the bulbs rot. I will give it another try provided I come across any bulb at all. They are not very much available here in Europe...

PS: I like the "sacco di culo", what a great expression :D

10. Marni

Leo, some of the tubers can go very deep in the pots. When mine are actively growing I don't let them dry out. I have a mix with quite a bit of pumice, some lava rock, fine bark but also a lot coir and 1/3 rich commercial potting soil. It is a much richer mix than I use for almost any other terrestrial. It is the time going in and out of dormancy that is more tricky. I manage those times by segregating the pots from the other orchids and watering them individually as needed. I feel a bit silly spending the extra time on them to hand water pot by pot, but otherwise I kill them.

11. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Marni, how do you keep them in the winter? Completely dry, or do you mist occasionally like Egoista?

12. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

IMG_20150807_205457(1).jpg Sorry for the last post, something does not work I had change broswer to can reply.

Here attached the pic of the media for help you undestand, actually I was not very pricise, in the media are present also fine lava stone and fine bark, pumice are size 4/6 mm, peat or better potting soil in a little part

naoki likes this.
  13. Marni

Leo, what I've found best in my conditions is to take off most of the potting medium as the leaves die back and keep them in the pot over the winter. I keep them in a tray with a plastic cover until they start to sprout. I used to keep them in the house but now I keep them in a warm greenhouse (65F/18C minimum night). I don't really mist them during this time, but the humidity isn't very low. As each ones starts to sprout I will pot it up and set in about 1/2" water for a few minute to wet the medium at the bottom for some added humidity. Once it begins to come up above the surface I will may "water" it with a spray bottle (set to a stream, not to mist) around the edges once or twice being sure not to wet the plant. After the leaves open up then I will begin to water normally with my other plants. From that point on they don't dry out until I begin to lessen the water in the fall. The pictures are of a plant the is just coming up. The plump tuber will be fine, but the larger plant may have dried too much and might not sprout.

habenaria dry rest2.jpg
    habenaria dry rest1.jpg

naoki likes this.
  14. leo

Thank you Marni and Egoista for those detailes instructions! I will give it another try once I come across one.

Marni and EGOISTA like this.
  15. jai

jai Orchid addict

Nice orchid

16. oisifml

oisifml Active Member

Nice orchid and thanks for the tutorial!