Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria carnea fma nivosa

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by DarleneJay, Sep 23, 2020.

1. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

These are awesome little plants!

20200922_195924.jpg 20200922_195827.jpg 20200922_195929.jpg

Iris, wpinnix, W. Malewa and 2 others like this.
  2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Great, Darlene.

what are the growing conditions you have them in?

3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I have honestly grown to enjoy this form more than the wild type. I just can't get over the beautiful, emerald green foliage with the silver speckles and the pure white flowers.

You beat me to this post! Do you mind if I piggyback off of it and post my pictures, too?

4. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Very nice! Neither of mine came up this year.

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

@Ray
    They grow under lights year round. Intermediate to warm temperatures in the summer and intermediate temperatures in the winter. Ideally, they are consistently moist while growing. I have forgotten about them a bit this year and allowed them to dry out. Never for more than a couple of days. Still they did not appreciate it. After flowering, I water a lot less. Once they are dormant they spend the winter/spring in an enclosed aquarium, where I can keep the humidity high. Sometime I lightly mist them towards the beginning of spring. I am not convinced that is necessary.

@RustyExotics please jump in and post yours too!

6. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Here are mine, plus pictures of Hab. carnea to compare. I was a little late taking pictures this year, so the flowers have already started to fade.
    Nicholas Rust - Hab. carnea fma. Nivosa.JPG
    Nicholas Rust - Hab. carnea fma. Nivosa.JPG.JPG
    Nicholas Rust - Habenaria carnea.JPG.JPG
    Nicholas Rust - Habenaria carnea.JPG.JPG.JPG

Darlene,

Regarding misting in the spring: I'm at the same conslusion. These plants enter and exit dormancy in a moisture-dependent manner. As a result, you can induce them into dormancy by cutting water or came induce them out by misting them. However, that doesn't always work and sometimes results in rotting the tubers if they plant really isn't ready. Today, I keep all of my tubers in plastic bags to keep humidity higher. It allows me to monitor them throughout the winter, and I get to see as soon as they start growing. I noticed that the increased residual humidity in the bag actually caused most of them to wake up much earlier. Immedietly after planting, I mist them once to set the soil and then wait for the plant to break the surface

Long story short: I agree that misting the soil isn't entierly necessary, but if they are kept in low humidty while dormant, the moisture will induce the plant to wake up in the spring.

DarleneJay likes this.