Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Habenaria carnea alba

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jan 12, 2020.

1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

This lovely mini has just finished blooming and now is about to take its dry nap for winter. These can be very tricky to overwinter. No water, they die. Water, they die. Some water, they die. Tried something a little different last year which cut the mortality rate down form 60-75% to 12.5%. About to see if it is successful this winter too.

carneaalba1219.jpg

GaryYG and wpinnix like this.
  2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I kept mine in a slightly enclosed tank last year because I grow indoors over the winter, and my humidity is too low to sustain these without watering. However watering over the winter is bad news for me. I had good success with the enclosed tank which allowed me to keep the humidity high enough that I didn't need to water.

What's your new regimine?

3. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Beautifully grown!

Habenaria carnea appears to like a slightly more-damp rest then some other species. When the plant goes dormant, I place the tuber in a plastic bag with some of the medium that it grew in, which is usually still ever-so-slightly damp. This seems to work very well, as the mild moisture of the soil prevents desiccation but isn't high enough to cause rot of the tubers.

4. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Unpot them after dry, place them on top of the mix and pull a plastic bag up over it, but don't close it. The tuber lays on top of the mix so I can see it and watch for shriveling or mold. They sit out in the GH that way until they start new growth.

DarleneJay likes this.