Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Guitar

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ann, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

I've re-started playing the guitar. About ten years ago I took lessons from what turned out to be a really mediocre teacher in classical guitar. I ended up hurting my shoulder because I was holding it all wrong. New day, new position, no problem and it's really too much fun to be legal. My brother plays flamenco with a group in Gainesville but it's not for me. Classical, however, is really fun.

2. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

I'd love to learn how to play the guitar. I can barely type, so I'm thinking my fingers aren't quite as articulate as they'd need to be.

3. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

You might be surprised, Jon. Give it a try.

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

That sounds like a peaceful pastime, Ann! I studied the flute for years and years, and I really regret giving it up. I keep saying I'm going to start lessons again, but I haven't done it. I still have all my flutes and piccolo, so maybe someday. I used to be pretty darn good...

5. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Oh Ann! That's wonderful!
    All I can do is sing and play the spoons. Kinda.
    It is so good to see you again, I've missed you.

6. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

Alexis, get back with it! You probably don't even need lessons. I didn't with the guitar -- I just bought a really good book and followed it exactly. The rest came back easily.

MJ, thanks. I hope I'm back for good. All my "firsts" are over and the one I was dreading the most since Bill died was our 50th anniversary the end of June. Man, I was really dreading that. My sweet kids took care of that for me. Shawna got me to the airport under the ruse of meeting the (fictional) cousin of a neighbor who turned out to be my son from Ohio. I was looking for a short woman with dark hair, not a tall man with sandy hair. Sheesh! I screamed and laughed and cried all at the same time! Then they took me to Longhorn (where Bill and I always went) and my entire local family was there, right down to my little great-grandson. Loooooong table full of love. Made what I expected to be a terrible day into a great one. So, I feel like a new person. I've missed you guys, too.

7. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I'm glad you're back, too, Ann. It sounds like you have a wonderful, loving family. I'm so happy that they are being so thoughtful and taking such good care of you! You and your husband obviously raised 'em right.

8. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Yeah, there's a great bunch of family right there.

9. harrywitmore

harrywitmore Member

Great Ann, I intend to do the same but mine will be rock. I used to play in a band years and years ago and bought a nice Rickenbacker 330 12 string and have never played it. Since I'm retired it's time. Thanks for reminding me.

10. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

Yep, they're the best, that group of mine. Harry -- 12 string! I wouldn't even know how to begin playing something like that. Let us know how you are getting along.

11. harrywitmore

harrywitmore Member

Thanks for the encouragement Ann. Getting the fingers to do what I want is the key. Especially since mine are small.

12. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

Little update. Started taking lessons last August (I think). Can't remember exactly but I think it was after I came back from Gainesville after visiting my brother on his birthday. My teacher is a hoot and we have way too much fun each week. Playing classical and finger style. If anybody's interested in some really good online lessons look up music-ala-carte.com. Think it runs about $10 a month.

You doing anything with your 12-string, Harry?

13. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

You jam, therefore you am. :clap:

14. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

LOL. I be jammin'! Kinda hard to "jam" classical, but I give it my best shot. I'm about to attend my first local classical guitar society meeting where they play in groups. Beginners have their own group and music is written for three guitars. I played around with it with my teacher the other day and loved it! I guess you could call that jammin'.

15. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Nah, I call playing classical a "nerd alert". Playing the blues....now that's jammin'.

J/k....I took some classical lessons for college credit! Best tuition I ever spent. Be careful though. A stringed instrument addiction is more expensive than orchids! :eek:

16. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

You're preaching to the choir. Glad you enjoyed your class. It really is fun. I'm saving for a really good guitar. My brother, who plays flamenco, has a guitar made for him by a luthier who used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and now lives in Colorado Springs. I would LOVE to have one made for me by him. Yep, more addictive and expensive. Nerd alert indeed!!!!!

17. This_guy_Bri

This_guy_Bri weirdo

18. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

Yeah, I saw that. A lot of people I know had tons of fun with it.

Went to my first meeting last night and a couple of people in there really need to lighten up. :D It was a case of don't-make-me-laugh-I'm-playing-classical-guitar-and-this-is-serious-business. With the guy who instructs me there (and me:)) you can forget about that! Since we were able to overlook those two it was really a lot of fun. The whole group played a piece called "The Giant in the Woods" and I asked them if we could play it again a little slower cuz giants don't really walk that fast. Several of them grinned and we did. What is with guitar players who equate speed with proficiency? Sometimes things are supposed to be played slow, like giants walking through the woods. Anyway, it was fun and a great learning experience.

19. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

You tube yourself. Pronto.
    Thank you.

20. Ann

Ann Beadin' fool

I webcammed (is that a word?) myself playing one of the parts so I could play the other parts along with it. Not a pretty sight. :eek: Just use your imagination -- I'm 23, long beautiful flowing hair, long beautiful flowing skirt with an authentic gypsy blouse, beautifully manicured fingers flying on the guitar and making Segovia swoon. That ought to hold you for a while.