Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Growing Restrepias on inorganic mounts

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by jai, Dec 6, 2016.

1. jai

jai Orchid addict

Has anyone had experience in growing Restrepias on inorganic materials? Do they do well?

Examples of materials: Epiweb, rock wool slab, foam
    I was thinking of trying one on Epiweb.

2. carl

carl Active Member

Mostly, I've seen restrepias on trees, but one often sees stelis species growing on boulders, fence posts, wires (power/communication/fence), and so on.

You can grow them on just about anything you want as long as it isn't phytotoxic AND you manage their water and humidity needs properly. You can tie them to a string and keep 'em growing if you manage their needs properly. Keep in mind that if they are on any non-porous substrate, your "success window" becomes smaller. Even more so if that surface is smooth

The whole point of choosing a substrate is to enlarge that success window, given constraints on substrate longevity and appearance.

Kipper and jai like this.
  3. jai

jai Orchid addict

How can one test phytotoxic in a material?

4. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Technically, those are organic.

5. jai

jai Orchid addict

So phytotoxics are only present in organic materials and things that are coated in chemicals?

6. carl

carl Active Member

No. Some rocks are phytotoxic, for example things high in selenium. Also, some rocks can be quite alkaline, and roots might not be too fond of that.

Basically, you need knowledge guided by experience. You need to know the composition of the material, and the experience to tell you if it will be a problem in your conditions.

And by the way, EVERYTHING is a chemical. Water is a chemical. Air is a mixture of chemicals. Don't wander off into the weeds of ignorance thinking chemicals are nasty, evil things that will only cause harm.

jai and Kipper like this.
  7. jai

jai Orchid addict

Yes I know everything is a chemical lol :p I meant like a wire that is powder coated.

8. Diana Smith

Diana Smith New Member Supporting Member

I'm trying them in pots with expanded clay pellets with a programmable sprinkling system and nutrient proportioner. The jury is still out but they made it through a hot, dry summer already. I'll report in again if/when they bloom.
    Jai, you can try looking up the manufacturer of the powder coating to see if it is non-toxic. Many are because they are used for parrot and pet enclosures.

jai likes this.