Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

growing medium

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pat McCray, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Pat McCray

Pat McCray New Member

Looking for an easy recipe for making
    growing medium

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

For what kinds of plants? The type of medium depends on how often you water, the texture of the roots (hair-like, big and fat), does the plant require constant moisture or need to dry between watering, etc, etc. We are happy to help but the answer isn't simple so give us more information.

Marni likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

4. Pat McCray

Pat McCray New Member

I have 5 Dove/Egret seeds coming.

5. KellyW

Pat, you are probably getting Pecteilis radiata. There are people on the forum that grow this species and can probably help you. Are you actually getting seed or tubers? Probably tubers. Who is your source?

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Or are you getting seeds?

7. Pat McCray

Pat McCray New Member

Getting 5 seeds. Bought from Amazon

8. Marni

Orchid seed is very fine, like dust. Can you take a picture of it? Almost all seed being sold on line is a scam.

9. KellyW

Pat, unfortunately I have to agree with Marni that this is a scam or at least sold under false pretenses. I went on Amazon and found the 5 seed for $2.80. While you may actually receive 5 seed they will probably be hard to see and once you put them on any kind of medium you will not be able to see them. A single seed would be about 1/4 the size of this period. (or less).

With very few exceptions, orchid seed needs to be grown under laboratory conditions in a sterile medium to be successful. In their natural habitat there are optimum conditions but millions of seeds are dispersed to get a few successful plants. There are some complex fungal relationships with orchid seeds that are interesting that you can read about if you want.

This species is usually sold as a tuber (like a tiny iris bulb). It is winter dormant and requires dry, cool conditions while dormant. Many growers, including me, find it difficult to keep alive for more than one season.

I hope this experience doesn't scare you away from orchids. Real orchid growers are generally a nice group of folks that are willing to help you get started.

10. Marni

I know that ebay doesn't care about scammers with orchid seeds. Maybe Amazon would. I hope you at least ask for a refund and leave bad feed back so others don't fall for the same thing.