Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Greenhouse fans

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by Alexis, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Can anybody recommend a ~ 18" wallmounted fan, preferably oscillating, that can take extreme wet conditions?

I've been using "heavy duty" fans from the depot, but they are crapping out too fast in my conditions. I try to lube 'em on a regular basis, but one of my newest ones caught fire today. Luckily, I was close enough to hear it pop; otherwise, I may well have lost my roof. Scary stuff.

2. harrywitmore

harrywitmore Member

I don't even bother to buy high end fans anymore. They all seem to fail way too soon. I buy box fans ($12-$14) and they seem to last about 2 years. They all seem to hold up pretty good under very wet conditions. But, they are on a ground fault circuit. The great thing is I can buy about 8-10 of them for the price of one greenhouse fan.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Harry. Both on cheap fans and ground fault circuits. I have small 8" fans that sit on the floor and 12" and 14" oscillating wall fans all very cheap from the big box stores that last for years.

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Thank you, both. All the electric in my shadehouse is protected with GFIs. I guess what was likely burning was the WD40 I'd sprayed in the morning, when I suspected the fan was beginning to crap out. This fan only lasted 6 months.

5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I used to subscribe to the cheap box fan idea as well, but several years ago I managed to get two Acme "Valu-Master" fans for a song. They've been operating non-stop for probably 7- or 8 years now.

If I needed to replace them, I'd probably go for these at IGC

6. Armando

Armando Hobbyist gone wild

I use the Lasko 20" Weathershield box fans (from Home Depot) in my greenhouse. Although I can't dump water on it, the weathershield design makes it a lot safer and last longer. It only costs $5 more than the non-weathershield model. The only downside is that is not oscillating.

7. Dale

Dale New Member

Grainger. I recently retired a couple of their Dayton 24" oscillating fans that had been running continuously for over 20 years. I couldn't get replacement parts for the oscillators any more.

8. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Thank you, guys; this gives me more to consider.

9. Clark

Clark Gator Member

my greenhouse fans came from Graingers, the one is still operating since 1994.