Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Gomesa colorata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jan 5, 2019.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

A delightful miniature species. It's from Andy's Orchids (sold as Oncidium coloratum). The photos were taken on Nov 13, 2018. It is still a small plant, but it produced 2 inflorescences this year. The second one wasn't in bloom at the time of photos, but the flowers from the second inflorescence are still open now. I'm growing it at the cool-end of intermediate; max/min daily temperature of 29/18C (84/65F) in the summer and 21/13C (70/55F) in the winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GaryYG, Foozil and wpinnix like this.
  2. carl

carl Active Member

That's a nice little species. It goes on my want list...

3. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's a very nice species. In my experience, and according to the cultural info the the Baker's Oncidium alliance book, it isn't really a cool grower, though it doesn't seem to be harmed by it. Mine has constantly been in bloom for the past 9 months or so, but I still haven't gotten the mass blooming that can be seen in photos of more mature plants, but it looks like it's finally letting up. I hope for more flowers in spring.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Yours (link) looks very nice with deeper yellow! I should consider moving it to the warmer area.

5. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Beautiful

6. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You probably noticed, but the flowers open very saturated in color and fade a bit in color over the course of a few weeks. The lip in particular is a near fluorescent yellow.

naoki likes this.
  7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I didn't notice it this time (well, it started to flower when I was quite a bit busy). I'll need to observe it carefully next time. Thank you for pointing it out!