Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Glomera sp.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I got this plant a few years back as a Glossorhyncha species, but I guess most are Glomera at this point. In any case, it was a plant of a relatively unobtainable genus from New Guinea related to Dendrobium so I thought it must be good! It finally bloomed after 5-6 years. Had two blooms, they only half opened and only lasted the one day. Blooms start off light yellow and fade to cream. Oh well...the foliage isn’t bad.

8127F5E3-F9F3-4DA1-97A1-93AF3E96999B.jpeg
    58A80BCF-3BCD-4F7A-8FFA-C0264597F7F9.jpeg
    17287473-8076-4C10-993B-BFE140294313.jpeg

Matt, RustyExotics and wpinnix like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Some plants just don't have what it takes to become popular. But you get points for perseverance.

Joanie, Chuck-NH and wpinnix like this.
  3. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I like the growth habit. ;)

Chuck-NH likes this.
  4. Chuck-NH

Yeah...I guess I would refer to it as a foliage plant

5. Marni

What are you going to do with it? Keep growing it? Pass it on to someone else?

6. Chuck-NH

Oh yeah...it is the only thing I have from that Genus...I will divide as soon as able if you want a piece?

Marni likes this.
  7. Marni

Chuck, what a kind offer. No offense, but I'll pass on this one.

8. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Hi Chuck,

Its neither Glomera nor Glossorhyncha but a Grastidium sp. [or Dendrobium section Grastidium]. The plants have fine slender stems with many permanent leaves.

Some Grastidium species can form large clumps with single flowers that do not last all that long [generally several days]. The flowers are often non-resupinate. When the plants get large, the stems can carry several flowers from consecutive nodes. Larger plants can produce several flushes of flowers over several months.

There are still many undescribed species. I'll have a look to see if I can track down a specific ID.

9. Chuck-NH

Thanks Gary (at least there is a “G” in it somewhere ). Yes, would be great if you found an ID.

10. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Sorry Chuck,

I got my names mixed. Your plant is a Monanthos sp. [not Grastidium sp.], so it belongs to Dendrobium section Biloba. The characteristics that I mentioned above apply to Monanthos and not Grastidium.

Grastidium are similar grassy-looking plants, but each node produces 2 flowers back to back or the flowers often face each other. Generally the Grastidium flowers are one-day-wonders.

Still checking on the ID.

11. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Chuck,

Your plant looks to me to have some similarities to Monanthos corticola [syn. Den. corticola] but it does not seem to me to be that species.

Your plant has cupped flowers with larger broader petals and the lip is also broader.

See Largest online collection of New Guinea orchids

Perhaps it is undescribed?

12. Chuck-NH

Thanks again Gary! I see another bud coming and will try and get some better photos as well.

13. Matthew Speights

Matthew Speights New Member

Gary,

I think you're correct. I got the a plant that looks identical from Andy's. Speaking with a guy who grows orchids in Papua New Guinea, I'm reasonably sure this is Dendrobium section Biloba, but I've not been able to ID the species.

A similar, but not likely the same, species can be seen here: Login • Instagram