Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Gastrorchis francoisii, the most beautyful of all Gastrorchis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by prachtorchideen.wordpress, Aug 21, 2019.

1. prachtorchideen.wordpress

prachtorchideen.wordpress Member

[​IMG]

In my eyes Gastrochis francoisii is the most beautyful of all Gastrorchis species. Yesterday, the first flower opened to my delight. Gastrorchis francoisii is endemic to Madagascar and is hard to get from european orchid nurseries. Many of the Gastrorchis francoisii I bought were mislabelled Gastrorchis humblotii var. humblotii. Both species are kept under similar conditions, they like to take a cool rest during winter time and should be kept with little water during this rest period. Do not fertilize during winter time.

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Really pretty orchid. I tried to cultivate Gastrochis in my island but the climate is too warm for them. Eventually they declined and died.

3. prachtorchideen.wordpress

This is a difficult thing about Gastrorchis. Although they are pure Africans they don't like high temperatures too much. One exception may be Gastrochis tuberculata, but I could not get my hands on this species until now. Really easy to keep are hybrids of Gastrorchis and Phaius, and in Puerto Rico they should be nice garden plants :)

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I have tried some of them. They will grow for a time and bloom well. But if you dont repot them annually, and give them meticulous care they tend to deteriorate and die. For a time Gastrorchis hybrids were all the rage locally. But eventually they dissapeared, I suspect victim of the inevitable wandering attention of the orchidists.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Very nice! How frequently do you water during the winter dormancy?

6. prachtorchideen.wordpress

My Gastrorchis francoisii get during dormancy just that much water that the substrate doesn't dry out. I usually water once a week during winter time.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019