Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Eurychone rothschildiana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Sep 10, 2018.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A compact Angraecum relative that resembles a smallish phal with dark green, glossy leaves with wavy edges. Flowers are about 2" wide, smell somewhat like cinnamon during the day, and last a few weeks.

I'm growing it shady in intermediate temps. It should not stay wet for long. The leaves are prone to spotting if they stay wet, and the buds/flowers are worse. They buds will blast before they open if they stay wet, and the flowers will likewise start looking rather shabby if they get wet much.

This species is reputed to suddenly croak for no good reason. I've had this plant for close two years. So far, so good.

Eurychone rothschildiana 01.jpg Eurychone rothschildiana 02.jpg Eurychone rothschildiana inflorescence.jpg Eurychone rothschildiana flower.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    wpinnix, sam1147, leo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bernard McDonald

Bernard McDonald Active Member

Super-green and white always a delight.

3. Steve C

Steve C New Member

Wow, that's the most floriferous Eurychone spike I've ever seen!

4. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

As you said they suddenly croak. Mine lasted 2 years and that was all. Very nice plant and beautiful blooms.

5. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Such a lovely species. Mine die over the winter the few times I've tried. Maybe kept too wet, but I've never succeeded in growing this one. Do you do anything special for the seasons?

6. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We'll see. They really do seem to dislike staying wet.

Nothing special. 60ยบ F winter nights and letting it dry out between watering, drying off any water on the leaves/in the leaf axils with a paper towel when watering. It's survived two winters so far.

7. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Stunning pictures and plant!